Unable to delete Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is this Ive got a folder on my PC which when I only just so much as move my mouse cursor over the folder I get a "windows has encountered a problem & needs to close" box then it refreshes my desktop, I cant delete this folder Ive tried renaming it even tried going into DOS prompt & deleting it from there; it comes up with the file delete confirmation when I type in yes the DOS prompt closes but the folder still remains can someone please tell me how to delete this folder. (it only happens to this one folder).

its a folder I created myself to place downloaded files into, Ive tried running PC-cillin antivirus software but its finding nothing.

try a different option...
right click on the folder then choose delete++
click and drag the folder and place it in the recycle bin++
las option go to run type in the folder and trash it in the recycle bin++
or dude!!!
add and remove programs!!!

Probably a program in the folder is being used by the system at startup. If you can open the folder check to see if there is a program in there in the startup file or in the "msconfig" startup file. If there is nothing in the folder, go to the "dos" window and "cd" to the folder and type "dir /a" to see if there is anything hidden in there. If there is then try to unhide it with the "attrib" command. Then "del" or "deltree" it. If you can't delete it then check to see if it is being opened in a startup and take it out and reboot and it should be able to be deleted

Have you tried Safe Mode? There is a program called Unlocker I highly recommend, I'd almost guarentee it will delete with Unlocker while in Safe Mode, probably will delete with Unlocker in regular mode too.

If all else fails, just post here the full path to the file. You can then download a program called "The Avenger," for which I can write a little script that should definitely delete the file.

Please post the full path to the file if you can't get anything else to work.

If there are video/image files in that folder,

then that`s the old thumbnail preview problem.

Windows trys to show thumbnails of vids and pics,only

it crashes Explorer in the process.

To turn off previews -

Go to Start/Run/and type - regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll click OK.

to turn them on again(if you want to) regsvr32 shmedia.dll

You can copy and paste those into the run box.

More HERE

Thanks Po'Girl you are dead right it was a thumbnail preview problem, I downloaded a free file called "Delinvfile" that did the trick & removed the files/folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back