Unable to install xp or vista on my newly hand built pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mholt82

hello im new on here i have been working with pcs for quite a while now but i have never been as frustrated as i have been the last few hours. i have gone into my bios setup set my dvd rom as first boot device and hdd as second, put my xp cd in as i have before on my old computer, and i get a black screen that says please insert media into drive press any key. but when i put my vista cd in there the process starts and goes into the installation it gets to the point where i have to restart when vista is done installing to my hdd then when it restarts it goes back into the install windows vista again and im like wtf i just installed it and i cannot get into my desktop at all, i think my xp cd is bad but i can deal with vista both hdd's are brand new i had them formated in the vista cd utility and still nothing happens when vista is installed. all the jumpers on my hdd's are in correctly master and slave my mother board and ram are vista ready. im just running out of sanity here any advice would help greatly i did not have a floppy installed in my new case when i bought all my parts so thats out of the question.

When it reboots again, stop it and go into BIOS and set it to boot from HDD or take out the Vista DVD from the drive.

kirock said:
When it reboots again, stop it and go into BIOS and set it to boot from HDD or take out the Vista DVD from the drive.

i put hdd as first boot device after vista installed and it still goes to black screen with horizontal line in upper left corner like it has been and just sits there i let it set for 10 min before i made this quote :(

i think i might know what the problem is i have an older nvidia card in my computer someone on a message board said they took it out and everything worked after that so im going to try that and get back to you all

Hmm if you could see the screen to install vista and or your BIOS then your video card is working. Can you boot into safe mode and see if that works. Now try to install proper video drivers for that card.

kirock said:
Hmm if you could see the screen to install vista and or your BIOS then your video card is working. Can you boot into safe mode and see if that works. Now try to install proper video drivers for that card.

:-( i cannot get into safe mode after vista installs i got into bios and set it back to boot from my hdd and it just went back to black screen again im about to call a comp shop around here and ask how much it would be to have it installed or ask a friend of mine

i have a problem also regarding to my installation of OS..why after copying all files from windows xp to my hard disk and when the setup started when you can put a serial of xp, the country and the computer name..after that if 20-15 minutes left to complete the setup its hanging up..why?why its hanging up at this point?help me plz

johnhenry said:
Is it a SATA hard drive?

both of my hdd's are ide but my mother board has sata ports on it, its just frustrating i spent all this money on these new parts to get my comp working again and i cannot install my os on it, i have done it severl times in the past, i finally broke down and re installed xp on my laptop, and ill have to use this still untill i get my desktop running again :( im not sure what else i can try to be honest with everyone. the vista cd im using has home basic on it i can upgrade it or install it totally. so i know its a good copy i have the cd key and stuff.

mholt82 said:
not sure what the big whop is for the sata connection

my dad suggested i try to install an older version of windows like 2000 or 98 then just upgrade to xp or vista. but being i went the dual core route i doubt 98 or 2000 would even work if i tried

greggy28 said:
i have a problem also regarding to my installation of OS..why after copying all files from windows xp to my hard disk and when the setup started when you can put a serial of xp, the country and the computer name..after that if 20-15 minutes left to complete the setup its hanging up..why?why its hanging up at this point?help me plz

You might want to start a new thread.

ok did somemore checking with the command prompt that you can access when you put the windows vista cd in i looked in my hdd and sure enough vista is on the drive but the darn os still wont boot and go to the desktop and stuff. is there a program that can scan when it boots up to find errors. i have the option of using a usb drive for drivers and what not, just not sure what to try to help get it to work. im about to put my desktop on ebay and use that money to just buy a desktop from walmart or something.

im so sorry everyone i feel so dumb right now i was not partitioning the harddrive before i installed vista . it works now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back