Unable to ping anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 3 PC network, 2 running XP, and 1 running Windows server 2003. They are all connected usng a D-Link DSL-504T Modem/Router. I had a faulty router before but at least had connectivity with all 3 PCs when it actually worked. Now I have received my new router, the two PCs running XP have no probs in connecting up to the router and receiving local IPs and accessing the internet. However, my server, although using exactly the same cables and settings as before cannot get an IP address from the router and can't ping the router either. Considering all was working well before, and the only thing that has changed is the router, that works fine for the other PCs, what the hell is going on?

Big-Z

What are the TCP/IP settings on the server? Are they identical to the XP machines'?
Does the link light turn on on the router and on the server's NIC?

Is the router giving out 3 or more IP addresses?

Did you configure the new router so it's DHCPing at least 3 IP addresses?

TCP/IP setting are identical to XP machines (ie. auto-detect). When I manually give it an IP address this has no effect either. I have an IP range of 192.168.1.2 to 20, the XP machines are 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. The link light on the router is on as well for all machines.

Check firewall settings

Are there any firewall settings on the server that would prevent it from seeing the router?

dgower2 said:
Are there any firewall settings on the server that would prevent it from seeing the router?
That's what I was thinking. Maybe the server is setup as a manually entered IP, and not obtain from DHCP server. So check your TCP/IP settings as Nodsu suggested, and make sure everything looks good.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back