Unable to start 3D Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilenceOfComp

I recently re-installed Win XP, after the installation I DL'ed the catalyst and driver for my ATi Radeon 9200.

After I finished installation, I installed World Of Warcraft, and Direct X was supposed to install also, but WoW installed, didn't get the DirectX install at all, and I got the message "Unable to start 3D Acceleration" Tells me to make sure that DirectX 9.0c is installed and that I have the most recent Drivers.

Well I already Dl'ed and installed the New Video Driver, dated 3.21.2006, and I Dl'ed DirectX 9.0C and Ran the copy on the WoW installation CD and both opened setup, then I click agree, next, takes me to Install Runtime Components, I click next, next screen says its installing holds a second a blue completion/status flashes to 100% then it pops into the next screen saying Installation complete, but WoW still won't run, same error message.

Only thing I could think of is when I originally installed the catalyst and driver the install went through fine, I restarted when I was prompted, it booted back up, I was given error message "You do not have permission to change CATALYST Control Center settings. Please Contact your administrator for further help." Problem here is I am the administrator, logged in as

Hit "start", "run" , and type "dxdiag", click display and see if anything is disabled or greyed out.

Ok, fumbling around through the DXdiag, thanks rik for the info, I found that I am still running DirectX 9.0b after several attempts to install C. Anyone know why I wouldn't be able to install c?

You need to also install the chipset drivers for your motherboard else you'll be unable to obtain hardware accelerated 3D in most cases.

You should promptly UNinstall your Catalyst drivers (and all other ATI components), then hit the website for your motherboard (or google/download and run CPU-Z and report what it finds here if you're unsure).. THEN the Catalyst drivers.

Good luck!

Ok, I did a little more In-depth googling, it appears that my buddies "good to go" copy of XP is Corporate /w SP2 Beta, from what I read it won't allow the installation on 9.0c because it reads b as c for some reason...So I guess thats my problem. One Thing in the solution, they tell me to obtain an DirectX uninstaller, have the generic 8.1 load up, then to copy the cab files over from the 9C to the 9B folder, then run the install in the 9B folder and it would work... well I can't find a working uninstaller, plus that doesn't seem like it would work anyway.

Anyone, any suggestions, good uninstallers for DirectX? Help please, I just wanna play a lil WoW.

I appear to be having the same problem, World of Warcraft should have automatically installed directX 9.0C when i installed the game but it hasn't.
Is there anyone out there who has the solution please let us know.

SilenceOfComp, i think the only cure for you will be a legitimate version of windows!!!!!

Bojonak, you need to start your own thread to get help as i doubt you are having the problem for the same reason as SilenceOfComp unless you also have a corporate edition of xp!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back