Unable to start cold system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

This is a little strange.
I have wiped and reinstalled all, as per previous posts and am really happy with the whole setup.
But,
Normally I leave the machine on 24/7 and it sort of sleeps until I move the mouse.

A few weeks ago I turned off over night and It took about 10 mins of reset or unplug and starts before the monitor went "wanggggg" and all started.

2 days ago I turned off over night and after a lot of resets etc I had no joy and the Mobo LEd's were stopping at FF boot attempt

I changed the monitor without success and then swapped the graphics card for an old matrox 400 and it booted, I took it out replaced the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 and all is well again. I have not switched off since.

Is it a Video card problem. How do I explain the fault to a disbelieving wholesaler?

Has anyone had this problem.

Also I tried to run a bits and pieces machine but it would not work with XP and the Matrox. Obviously the matrox does work as it booted my good machine. Wierd:(

I've had that kind of problems too. I think it was because of underpowered PSU. I managed to start my rig by temporarily unplugging my hdds; when the computer turned on, I plugged them back so that they were recognized correctly. Now it's been a while since I turned the machine off, I don't know what would happen..

Well its 300watt but it has quite a lot of things to run
2xhd
1xcdrw
1xcd/dvd
big chip cooler
case cooler
Gcard with cooler
and all the other non moving stuff

maybe

Leaving it running does not seem to bother it I just have to clean the fluff out of the fans regularly!

I'm with Mic on this. It sounds like it isn't getting enough power on startup. It takes more power to start the system than it does for it to run. Try disconnecting some non-essential components and starting up, like case fans, CD or DVD drive. If the system boots fine like that, then you may need a new PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back