"Unable to start email protection"

Status
Not open for further replies.

b2bomber81

Running Win ME, Norton AV 2002.

Anybody else experienced this problem? I can't figure out what causes it. Everytime I turn on Email Scanning, I get this error message:

Norton Antivirus was unable to start email protection.

I'm also unable to turn on Live Update.

Ideas anyone? Thanks.

Your best bet is to fully uninstall Norton (see their instructions on the Symantec website.
It is a pig of a job though.
Then re-install it and run all of the updates.
If you did a proper job during the UNinstall, you will get a free year's subscription out of it!

I did try uninstalling it according to the instructions on Symantec's website. Also downloaded a removal tool to clean it all out. No good though.

It's weird, because it used to work on this machine just fine. Now all of a sudden it doesn't.

I have experienced a long time ago, that Norton is an enormous resource-hogger. Personally I hate anything from Norton and/or Symantec. You pay through the nose! Best to throw it away altogether.

Browse over to www.grisoft.com and D/L and install the free AVG. You will need to register with them, but you wont get any hassle from them or spam because of it.
Many people on this forum use it and are quite happy with it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've downloaded it and will check it out. I agree that Norton is DEFINITELY expensive - I've just always used it, from the time I had my first computer (Compaq 286)!

Thanks - I'll check it out!

What an awesome program! It works great. In fact, I loaded it on my machine first to try it out (the one that is working right) and it found 9 new viruses on my system that were never found by Norton. Found an additional 6 new viruses on the HP that I had scanned and thought it was clean too. Norton's been pitched out the door - AVG's got my business now!

Thanks man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back