Unable to start system (Unresponsive mobo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello -

I'm a newbie to system building and apologies in advance if some of the queries are stupid.

This is my first time building a computer and I built myself one only to see it fail to start-up.

The power supply (Thermaltake TR2-500) is in standby mode while I see a green LED on the motherboard (which says power) so I am assuming the motherboard is recieving power.

However, none of the fans, CPU or HDD fail to start up. How can I start debugging this issue?

The mobo is a D975XBX2KR in an Antec P180 case.

Any help will be really appreciated. I spent almost 2000$ on this computer and am already regretting it :(

Thanks Much.

First thing to check would be to look for a possible short from the mobo touching the case. Check the way that the mobo is mounted in the case and be sure the mobo isn't sitting directly on the metal "plate" behind it.

Thanks for the response raspygold ...

I checked and the motherboard is well mounted. It is not sitting on the case while it is touching the case at it's edges.

Update ... I disconnected everything and started out with just a power supply, video card and RAM as mentoined by KingCody in the other thread. Things seem to be working for now.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the help.

So, I connected everything in. And when I turn the power switch on, I can see the LEDs and fans running which suggests mobo is OK and other peripherals are working as well (The video card also has a fan).

However, I fail to see the POST or anything on the screen and I don't see any lights on my keyboard as well. I'm unable to pop-out the DVD drive as well.

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure my VGA cable is ok.

Thanks.

Thanks RaspyGold,

I think it is. The psu calculator shows the wattage at 350W. I have a 500W PSU (Thermaltake TR2-500).

And even with just a video card and 1 stick of RAM, nothing shows up on the screen. I see the fan on the video card running, so I'm assuming the video card is just fine. I'll try changing the cable from VGA to DVI. Not sure that would help though.

It all finally managed to woek :) Not sure what the problem was. I re-plugged in the 2*4 power connector couple of times and the video finally showed up.

Thanks for all the help. God bless :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back