Unable to start Windows XP Pro in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unable to start my computer in safe mode any more.

Can any one tell me if the fact I have a new Segate SATA drive as my C drive be the reason?

I was told to use safe mode to uninstall a part of a program, it was then I discovered I was no longer able to use safe mode.

I am now wondering if I require my C drive to be on the ide bus.

"unable to" means what? You physically can't bend your fingers the right way? :p

How are you trying to get into Safe Mode? What happens?

I mean that when I use tyhe F8 key to get into safe mode, it stats the process and then it seems to hang for a time then it will either reboot on it's own, or it just completely hans until I use either the reset button or I shut it off with the power button..

It is unable to boot into safe mode. It really can't mean a whole lot of other things.

Hmm.

It probably means that Windows isn't loading the SATA drivers when it is booting safe mode.

Did you originally install Windows on an IDE drive and then migrated to SATA?

simular problem

Im sorry i dont have a solution, but i am having a simular problem. Except that im not using sata. it goes thru the driver listing and then stops. it always seems to restart 5-10 seconds after it stops. i have looked it up online and i wasnt able to find anything. so i started looking around in forums and i stumbled on this one. so if anyone can help me or dragun, with our problem, please help. thanks a lot.

-Dennis

Hi I have the same problem that I can't start in safemode, I had a virus and wanted to do the scan in safemode because that the only way to scan everything, but when I pressed F8, safemode the screen gets black and a small "|" up in the left corner.
so I went in to windows and forced windows to only start in safemode but now the pc is locked on that so now I can't start it at all. think that this virus have ****ed up the safemode start file or something.
so don't do the force windows to only start in safemode or safeboot.

Welcome to TechSpot

stonerdrummer85 said:
Im sorry i dont have a solution, but i am having a simular problem. Except that im not using sata. it goes thru the driver listing and then stops. it always seems to restart 5-10 seconds after it stops.
What's the last driver it loads?

vivat rex said:
Hi I have the same problem that I can't start in safemode, I had a virus and wanted to do the scan in safemode because that the only way to scan everything, but when I pressed F8, safemode the screen gets black and a small "|" up in the left corner.
so I went in to windows and forced windows to only start in safemode but now the pc is locked on that so now I can't start it at all. think that this virus have ****ed up the safemode start file or something.
so don't do the force windows to only start in safemode or safeboot.
That sounds like the boot sector (probably master boot sector) is corrupted.

Boot with XP CD to recovery console and fix it with fixmbr and fixboot c:

Then follow the steps in How to: Repair Windows XP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows.

After that, delete the virus using whatever you like. It might be the best to delete it in safe mode (if antivirus apps work in it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back