Unable to update BIOS for Intel D845HV motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jledoux

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to update BIOS so that I can upgrade my processor from a 1.5 MHz to a 2.4 MHz pentium 4 (currently I have a Pentium 4, 1.5 MHZ, 400 MHz bus, 512 MB ram, windows XP).

To update BIOS (the Motherboard is an Intel D845HV with 845 chipset), I downloaded Intel's "express bios update utility" (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!) but when my computer boots it always say the upgrade was unsuccessful and it refers me to the readme file. I have not been able to figure out what I'm doing wrong - but I've never tried this before!

One thing it says is to shutdown all windows programs. I have both Norton internet security and Roxio Go Back installed. Could these programs be part of the problem? Can I simply disable these programs, or do I need to completely uninstall them (a real pain!)? Is there another possible cause? Is there another way to do this? Thanks!

I've tried updating BIOS using the DOS program, also without success. The Intel website is a little sketchy about how to do it (and I've never done this before, so I need more info!).

The instructions (http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/standardbios.htm) say to double click the "Run.bat" file to begin creating the BIOS update floppy disk, but there is no "Run.bat" file in the files that I downloaded from their bios update download site: (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng)

Also, I assume the floppy needs to be a boot disk, correct?

Is there a good website that goes through the basics of this for someone new to this, like me?

Thanks again.

You make a bootable floppy (through the standard Windows format utility) and copy all the files from this self-extracting archive onto the floppy. The BIOS flashing program will start automatically when you boot from the floppy.

OK, I tried to update my BIOS using the DOS utility. Everything was working fine it seemed, then I got a bunch of error messages. They were:

(H48) update BIOS does not match currently intalled BIOS type

(HO1) The flash data image read from disk was found to be not valid

(S20) BIOS ID validation failure

Flash update was unsucessful

I'm not sure what I did wrong. I'm positive I have a D845HV motherboard (I saw that ID inscribed on the board, and a utility that helps identify the board showed the same thing). Any ideas?

The flash program thinks you don't have the right BIOS for your motherboard.
There should be a command line option to force the flash anyway (quit the flash program to get back to the DOS prompt).

Discharge CMOS

Are you discharcing your CMOS after you update the BIOS (usually a little 3-pin next to the CMOS battery). This will clear your old settings. This is most likely your problem, if you are absolutely sure that you have the correct BIOS update. Try it and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back