Unable to use task manager vcclient.exe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get to my task manager. I'm guessing it's some kind of malware. I ran avg anti-virus and it picked up the following:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VCClient\VCClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VCClient\VCmain.exe
I told avg to remove those files, but I went to that location on my hard drive and the folder was still there. I deleted the folder in safe mode. Went back to normal boot up. The VCClient folder isn't there anymore, but I still don't have access to the Task Manager. I started searching through these forums and decided to install hijackthis v1.99.1 I have uploaded the .txt file, what else in there would I need to fix.

task manager does not work in safe mode.. sorry i didn't mention this earlier
RAM: 128 MB
HD: 40GB

Which methods have you used to get to the task manager?

Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL? (obviously)

Right clicking the taskbar and click taskmanager?

Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Does anything pop up when you try these or does nothing happen?

Do you have a windows XP cd?

ALT-CTRL-DELETE gives me the windows security window the one that has the options to log off, lock computer, shutdown, and change password, and task manager, however the task manager button is faded out. When I right click on the task bar Task Manager is also faded out. And ever since i got that vcclient.exe thing the computer got really slow, do you think it might be some other malware that I don't know about that's affecting this?

It looks like some of your system files got corrupted some how. Do you have the windows XP cd? You can use that to restore some system files. Or you can just reinstall windows XP. You only have a 40 gig Hd so I don't imagine you have much to back up.

Well I have the restore cd that came with the computer, I also have a windows xp pro cd, but this particular computer runs home edition. Do you think it would be safe to slave this HDD to another computer to back up my files?

Sure it would be safe to slave your drive on another computer. But why would you do that? How many gigs of files do you have to save? Does the computer have a dvd drive?

CTRL-SHIFT-ESC brings out the message Task Manager has been disable by your administrator. No DVD drive. Just a few gigs that I need to backup, not sure how many though, probably 4. I still have 30 gigs of free space on the 40 gig hd. and some of that used space is due to service packs, and other programs, which I have cd's for. Just need to backup pictures and a few files. May not seem like a big deal, but it kinda is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back