unauthorized links on posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPN

Someone appears to be attaching links to specific words in my last post. Is this normal on this site, or is someone playing games here? This IS NOT appreciated!
:suspiciou

Its an new kind of advertising. Some keywords will be transformed to links. Instead of putting a banner telling you to buy cheap rubbish ink at half prise, the advertising company that "works" with techspot will autoinsert a link the the " ink " word if you post a message.. for example.

Obviously nobody clicks that kind of stuff unless they made a mistake.

If you use the likes of Opera or Avant, you can set them to suppress ads and/or banners. My Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro V2 also suppresses flash-ads (only firewall that can do that!).
Luckily I don't get these "keyword" ads anymore that WPN talks about.

That "annoyance" as you call it generates revenues for TechSpot. Your tip would be as helpfull as not loading banners on top of the pages.

From what I know we don't use any of the text-ads that you've experience (I could be wrong), but it's instead due to some ad-ware you've downloaded...

Use Ad-Aware to see if you've got anything...

It's not Adware or Spyware MrG, it's another form of advertising that Julio enabled on the forums.

There was a discussion on this but I can't seem to find it anymore.:suspiciou

Its good to have generate revenue for techspot. I sometimes click the banners and so on, use the pricegrabber... etc. But those text links really don't get my attention.

Ok, I got the answer I was seeking. I was just wondering why certain words were being highlighted on my query when it wasn't me who initiated them. I have not seen this sort of advertising previously. Definitely more user friendly than banners and pop-ups.

They only appear in IE, and they only recognize and make a link into some of the more popular keywords. Like Computer, AMD, internet, etc.
It is just a more subliminal way of advertising, as opposed to banners and such.
But they do help keep TechSpot going, so if you aren't too busy every once in a while click on some of the ads, or words.
Hope this is what you were looking for.

Well, at least I put in a disclaimer :)

And if they only work in IE, that explains why I haven't noticed them...
To paraphrase Londo Mollari "So this is IE. Fascinating... Never touch the stuff myself"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back