"Underclocked" CPU to prevent crashing, Power Supply problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, so im having this issue that is driving me mad :(... My system specs:
Asus A7n8x-e deluxe mobo, AthlonXP 3200+, Samsung 2x512 ddr400 mem, nvidia 5700le gc, samsung dvd-rom, optorite dvd-rw, sygate sata 120gb hd, floppy drive, 2 case fans, 1 cpu-fan.

My problem started as a random IRQ BSOD about NOV05, i did the normal. Replaced mem, checked graphics card, updated all drivers. Still happening. So i cleaned up the case, figuring it was dirty maybe some contacts on the components weren't contacting. While i was in there i removed 2 of my previously 4 case fans. The problem now took a little bit longer to show its ugly face, but i couldn't leave the comp on overnight without seeing the BSOD in the morning. So a week ago i figured i would change the cpu multiplyer to about half and run the processor at 1150mhz rather then the norm 2300. Havent seen the bsod since i underclocked it. This morning i decided to turn it back up to 2300 mhz and as soon as it boots- BSOD! Turned it back down and its stable. I don't know what to replace? I was thinking Power supply because the fans slowed the bsod down and the cpu isnt taking as much power at 1150mhz. Its one of those generic 350w psus that came with my generic case. Worked fine for about a year. Could this also be the processor causing the problems? What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

Rob

Could it be the unthinkable possibility of overheating? Yes, you removed two fans and it made things better, but that could have been because the airflow changed for the better inside the case.

And of course, it can be the PSU.

Thanks for the reply Nodsu, i was originally thinking it was overheating, but my software tells me otherwise. When i built this computer, it's always sat around 45-48*c normal, and 53-55*c when under load-like in a game. It hasn't changed and i never noticed any thing unusual about the temperature when the comp crashes. The 12v reading does however very between 12.62-12.72v. Is this normal?

Another thing I noticed: Today I ran history on my voltages using Asus Probe, and came out that my 12v is now lower than last night and my 5v is oscillating, I took a screen shot and attached it. Can anybody verify that the problem is my Power Supply? Are there any tests that can be done with a multimeter or such?

Attachments

• wavy.JPG
    wavy.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 6
Your 5V is more than 5% off and that's outside the ATX PSU spec. Even if your current problems are not caused by your PSU, I'd still get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back