Understanding Hard Drives...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmo

Guys/Gals,

I'm in the middle of piecing together a new PC. I'd like to utilize two hard drives. One for my gaming (a raptor) and the other for everything else.

Is it possible to install my OS and etc on the the slower harddrive and game on the other. I'd essentially like the PC to boot to the non gaming hard drive.

Can it work this way?

Thanks,
Raz

you could do that

if you tell windows to install on the drive you want it to be on then make that your primary boot drive, or just have it as your master hard drive, then it'll work :)

having your game files on the other drive would make then accessible a bit faster but you will want fast ram too, although i expect you already know this and that's why you want to use the 2nd drive as your game's program files :)

Thanks Daveskater

Well, I'm learning as I go hear but, I plan to use 2gb of PC6400 DDR2/800 Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/heat spreaders. This may or may not be fast enough?

For starters, I'll be running an EVGA 680i SLI, Core 2 duo E6850, one Nvidia 8800 GT and PCs power and cooling silencer 750 PSU.

I am planing to to use a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 so I thought I'd start small and grow larger if needed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Raz

that sounds like pretty good spec so you'd be able to game well with that :)

i think that ram will be fine, usually if it is between upgrading ram or a faster speed hard drive then getting faster ram will give the most performance improvement but seeing as you'll have both then you're looking at a speedy system, there

Thanks Dude!

I'm thinking that I'll probably pick up another 8800GT if she's lagging any, then move onto speedier RAM and on to a faster CPU (when prices get cheaper ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back