Understanding RAM frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All. First post. New/old guy learning. I'm about to do my first build (with some assistance) using an Abit Fatal1ty board, AMD 64 X2, a powercolor video card (upgradable when I have more $). I have questions about memory. I'm looking at 2Gb dual channel, and wondering if I am understanding The PC3200 terminology correctly. I get that this is the bandwidth at which everything operates. There seem to be many different sticks of memory at different bandwiths out there. My question is: What would be effect be, on the system listed above, of using sticks of memory with a higher bandwidth, PC 4000 or above? From what I've read, it would be like underclocking the memory(?).
I am after reliablility more than super speed, as my primary objective is musically oriented.... Any information that might assist me on this journey would be appreciated.....

Memory above PC3200 is designed for overclocking, so when you overclock the CPU you can keep the memory at a 1:1 ratio. You won't get any benefit from using anything higher, as an AMD64 runs at the same speed as PC3200.

1:1 memory to CPU, huh.....

Thanks for the reply. I understand the memory and CPU I am putting together are properly matched. I was wondering if using the higher freq. memory would bring any gains in reliability, or ...... I can see where it would not under normal circumstances.... How about under a pretty good load of tasks? Thanks again for your info...

No, you won't get any gains from running the higher clocked memory. Reliability comes from buying a decent brand, even though compatibility is more of an issue. As for running a lot of tasks, this comes down to the amount of memory, 2GB being the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back