Uninstalled Download Accelerator Plus But It Is Still Default Dl Manager In Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopefisher

i recently got rid of download accelerator plus because spybot s&d found that it contained ads. then i deleted it from program files as well. and i ran a registry cleaner with tune up utilities 2004. well in my firefox and mozilla browsers, DAP is still my default download manager. how do i get rid of this??? in netscape and opera, downloads work as theyre supposed to.

uninstall it from windows. DAP is a joke, don't bother. You can't speed up most new 56K baud modems, they already have built in compression on the card itself.

i DID uninstall it , and all that other stuff, but it is still the default download manager. and i cant change it back to normal.

You could always completely uninstall Firefox and then reinstall.

Save a copy of your bookmarks first though.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

uninstalled/reinstalled firefox, download accelerator plus STILL default download mgr

i did what one of the veterans told me and uninstalled firefox, and i thought it was fixed, but DAP is still the downlaod manager for SOME things! aaaaah. lol.

Get a new user profile in Firefox ( I think they are called user profiles...)

I forgot how to do it...but google or the help button may "helo".

The user profile stores all of your preferences...bookmarks,which default DL manager,etc.

Thats the quickest fix in my opinion.

well i just use netscape for downloads now.....and i rarely download off of http so i guess i'll pass on that. but i will keep it in mind. i just hate doing that because you lose all themes, extensions, plugins: anything customized. thanks.

ok....finally some closure? i finally got rid of the 2 entries spybot couldnt seem to clear from DAP. i manually deleted them from the registry.

(2 minutes later)

well, it still tries to load DAP everytime i go to download something...... gues i'll try rebooting. :(

nope....it's STILL loading DAP for my downloads, even after deleting more registry items. Oh, well. permanent inconvenience due to a crappy, diabolical item of "scheme-ware"

Go into Start/Run, type in regedit, click Edit/Find and search for occurrences of:
DAP
Download (not so good)
Accellerator
Plus
and delete all references.
Make a full Registry backup before you start.
Next, on the partition where Firefox is located, do a Find for all files containing any of the above searchwords. Delete the reference inside those files, using Notepad probably. That should get them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back