Uninstalling RedHat 9, how do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogo

Hi all

I want to try installing RedHat again, but I need to uninstall it first.

1. How do you uninstall it?

2. Where exactly is the GRUB boot loader installed?

3. If I remove the Linux partition, will I still be able to use XP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

1. You don't have to uninstall to get a clean start with RedHat. You can decide during the install process whether you want to leave your old installation intact or to reformat/repartition. Depending how you configured your bootloader you may not be able to boot Windows after wiping the Linux partition and you have to use the Windows Recovery Console to fix it if you don't intend to put Linux back.

2. GRUB is smeared all over the place really.. The code that starts GRUB is either in the Master Boot Record of your HD (a special place where the computer looks for something to run when it has started up) or the boot sector of your Linux partition (a special place where some program from the Master Boot Record may instruct the computer to look for something else to run). GRUB configuration is stored in the /boot directory of your Linux installation. Other GRUB utilities (for installing and configuring it) are on your Linux system partition.

3. Yes

Okay. So, I've used PM8 to format the Linux drive.

I then reboot to check if everything is okay, but I am now presented with the GRUB command line:

boot:

So this, to me, is a real pickle. How do I get back into Windows?

I said you wouldn't be able to boot if you wiped the Linux partition..

You can reinstall RedHat and Grub.
You can boot your XP CD, go to Recovry Console and run fixboot. this will wipe out GRUB and replac it with the generic Windows bootloader.
You can issue commands to GRUB manually. It went something like this:
rootnoverify (hd0,1) <-- this is the location of your Windows partition, numbers may be different
chainloader +1 <-- you tell it to boot from the first sector of the partition
boot

Okay thanks, I've got it all figured out

Now I'm trying to install my NetGear MA111.
There are people who said they installed an RPM which helped them get it to work in Linux. I know where to get it, but I have these questions:

1. What exactly is an RPM?

2. How do I use it?

Thanks again in advance!

1. RPM (=Redhat Package Manager) is a program used to install software. Programs come in .rpm packages that contain all the data needed to install them, also you can cleanly remove the program later if you don't like it.

2. You can install rpms using the GUI (KDE and Gnome in RH have RPM handling built in) or shell prompt. You can save yourself a lot of trouble if you use the command line. Navigate to the directory you downloaded the file to and issue a "rpm -i <.rpm file name>" command.

But wait, the only way I can download the RPMs is in Windows, in which Linux can't access it's partition. Or am I missing something here?

You are absolutely correct. :p Your best hope is that the files fit on a floppy or that you own a CD burner.

Yep, I'll burn the files and bring them into RH.
It seems the guy in that site you gave me is having a bit of trouble himself, but I'll see if I get the same thing.

Originally posted by KatanaSam
Why can't you download straight into Linux?

Maybe because without the drivers that he's trying to install ( read previous posts carefuly ) he can't connect to the net.

As far as an above question goes, you should have uninstalled grub first.

To remove LILO or GRUB (if it is installed in the Master Boot Record or MBR), you must rewrite the MBR. Use the program fdisk of your alternative operating system for this purpose. If you use DOS or Windows 3.x/95/98/ME, boot with a DOS rescue floppy and start fdisk with:
fdisk /mbr

source: http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/tg_deinstall.html

Procedure with Windows XP
Under Windows XP, you can restore the original MBR (thus uninstalling Lilo) as follows:
Boot from the Windows XP CD, press the key "R" in the setup in order to start the restoration console. Select your Windows XP installation from the list, and enter the administrator password. Enter the command "FIXMBR" at the input prompt and confirm the next question with "y". Finally, use "exit" to restore the computer.

source: http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/fhassel_deinstall_lilo.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back