Uninstalling Roxio, Installing Nero...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tale of the tape:

After experiencing numerous problems using Adaptec/Roxio Easy CD Creator 4x -- usually in the form of output failures, and then, recently, complete freeze-up's -- I uninstalled the program. Both my "regular" & CD/R drives -- stop me if you've heard this one -- thereupon "disappeared."

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in experiencing this phenomena, but here's the deal:

I'm running Windows 98. and ECDC 4.05 is currently installed. I have downloaded ECDC 5x Platnum, and both of the patches available from the Roxio site for 5x users, though I've yet to install any of these.

My question is, is it safe (i.e. wiil my CD drives disappear again, or worse) to uninstall ECDC 4.05 & install Nero in its place? Should I do a manual uninstall rather than using Add/Delete Programs?

I'm not technically sophisticated, so I don't know whether the Nero drive will work properly, even if uninstall of ECDC succeeds. If this makes any sense: I have a "read & write IDE CD-ROM drive," "MAN SWR US CD/RW-RO," and "MANCDR/DVD US ALLMOD INST RO." *Any* assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Mark

It should be safe to uninstall Easy CD 4 / 5 and install Nero. I have actually heard of occasional problems installing both softwares, so I recommend uninstalling Easy CD actually. It's a very buggy program.

Any uninstall you do should be done with ADD/REMOVE Programs.. If you just delete the folder, you could be in for some major problems. At the very least, it will leave behind junk DLLs and programs in your system folders that you really don't need.

Uninstall Easy CD first, then install Nero. If you experience any probelms using Nero (which I do not forsee), they might be caused by Easy CD uninstalling the Adaptec ASPI drivers, which are a free download from Adapatec.

Rick & Prashidi:

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll use Add/Remove and remember to reboot after uninstall & install.

I'm concerned about uninstalling Easy CD Creator, as this occasioned the loss of my "regular" & writable CD drives the first time I did it. (Note: I had been running v.4.02c. After losing the drives, a Gateway tech advised me to download the 4.05 update.)

Rick, you write that "If you experience any probelms using Nero (which I do not forsee), they might be caused by Easy CD uninstalling the Adaptec ASPI drivers, which are a free download from Adapatec."

Do you mean that after uninstalling Easy CD Creator & installing Nero, I should download teh Adaptec ASPI drivers if my CD & CD/R drives disappear again? (Again, I've got an IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32 & a MITSUMI CD-ROM FX4821TIA.)

Finally, what's the best, least buggy version of Nero?

Many thanks,

Mark

Help anyone!

I have had the same problems and have lost both my cd drive and burning drive I am working on windows 98 but used Nero 5x.

I didn't like the program so uninstalled it and the drives went but do appear in safe mode.

Another article on another site said go into safe mode and remove the drives but I thought not to and then stumbled upon this board.

Please can anyone walk me through what to do.

yeah

just run a search for adaptec, and get it out of there................look in explorer...........run, regedit......or a registry cleaner, like regclean.....and then, install nero......it's drap and drop, in explorer format.........and, no issues......

Originally posted by Mark

Finally, what's the best, least buggy version of Nero?

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark, i don't think you will be having very much problems with Nero. I've been running Nero 5.0 for quite sometime now in my older pc. A stable program, never crashed, so far hadn't only reinstalled more than once.

I did do a regedit and took it out but the thing is that I don't want Nero on my system so I don't want to re-install. So without Nero I don't have any cd drive.

What if you install only an ASPI driver without a burning app?

Adaptec ASPI driver

What I think is happening here is that burning application updates (overwrites) the existing ASPI driver, and when the application is uninstalled, the driver is removed too. Apparently it doesn't make a backup of the old driver. If I was you, I'd write to the application developer about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back