Unlock 1800+ or just increase FSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want programs to open faster and to get a higher frame rate in games. Does anyone have recommendations on whether I should just start increasing my FSB, or first unlock my CPU so I can just overclock that?
Thanks.

1800+ @1545
256 micron pc2100 (set at cas 2)
Asus a7v266-e
geforce3 ti-500
ibm 7500rpm

Personally I'd start in the registry, there are numerous keys that can be added and modified that will increase performance, giving you faster response in apps and such There are also some settings in there that change AGP settings. You might also want to add som more RAM. 256MB is getting to where it isn't very much anymore.

If you still cant get the level of performance you are looking for, then you can try overclocking. Unlocking the CPU is the best way but sometimes it is too difficult to attempt. I don't like increasing the FSB because it sometimes causes problems with PCI and AGP busses.

Especially if your system board doesn't support the proper dividers. I had trouble overclocking on my system with the A7V266 because of that. Unlocking would be your best option, you can buy unlocking kits at some extreme overclocker sites.

TS has a vast array of tweak guides out for all the Windows OS's, so I'd start there.

I have tweaked memory, bios (except overclocking) and services and disabled unnecessary startup programs. Does any of that cover registry settings? If not, do you know where I can learn about the registry?
In bios I have options for increasing the FSB which also raise the AGP and PCI buses, but only incrementally. For example, it goes 134/34, 135/34, 136/34, 137/35, etc. How do I know what the proper dividers are?
Thanks a lot for your help.

You can learn how to manipulate the registry by starting here

They have a pretty good collection of registry hacks as well as a downloadable guide that can help you learn to work with the registry keys. They also sell a Tweak app there that looks like it would be pretty good for beginners but I've never used it. I prefer manually editing the registry(I actually learn something that way)

Try my Tweaking Program, it has several useful performance tweaks for both Win9x/and Win NT based OSes.

If you are running Win XP I would recommend getting some more memory, and then enabling Large System Cache, and Disable Paging Executive.

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
Try my Tweaking Program, it has several useful performance tweaks for both Win9x/and Win NT based OSes.

If you are running Win XP I would recommend getting some more memory, and then enabling Large System Cache, and Disable Paging Executive.

I'll do that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back