Unmountable Boot Volume - Ghosting of drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

In searching for a solution for my problem I’ve seen a lot of similar posts but nothing with my exact problem, so please excuse me for starting yet another thread on the subject.

I have two 160Gb hard drives installed (both the same make), one as primary master (C: with Windows XP Pro) with dvd writer as slave, the other as secondary master.

After a power cut I restarted my computer and got the following familiar screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your file and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous start-up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren’t sure what caused the problem choose start windows normally.

SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
SART WINDOWS NORMALLY.

When, I press any of the above, I then get the message (blue screen with white writing):

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical Information:

***STOP:0x00000000ED (0x822E7C08, 0x C0000006,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have tried putting in the installation disk but it NEVER gives me the option to use the recovery console. It goes straight to the Install Windows/Delete/Create partition screen. However, there was something here that caught my eye. The options for this screen were:

157066MB DISK 0 AT ID 0 ON BUS 0 on ATAPI [MBR]
C: Partition 1 [unknown] 157057MB (157057 MB free)
Unpartitioned Space 8MB

157066MB DISK 0 AT ID 0 ON BUS 0 on ATAPI [MBR]
D: Partition 1 [unknown] 157057MB (19432 MB free)

Two things. Firstly I named my HD's C: and E: (D: is my dvd writer). Secondly, 19432Mb is approximately the free space on my C: drive (I'm sure E: has a lot more free).

As I say, I tried for the Recovery Console but couldn't get to it (just the above message) and so bit the bullet and tried to format and fresh install on C:. It went through the process of formatting but then told me that it wasn't possible and formatting hadn't occured. I took a 60Gb drive out of an old computer, put it in and tried to format that but again it wouldn't let me. This led me to believe that there is not a problem with the HD because I successfully reinstalled the 60Gb back into the old computer. It worries me that I am unable to do a fresh install on a working HD.

I have also swapped in RAM that I know works and it isn't that, and I have also reset the CMOS.

Any help anyone can give would be very gratefully received.

Problem solved.

In a rare moment of clarity, I decided to see if I could see the files on C: (the one with the OS on) by making it a slave on the old computer.

When booting up Windows automatically ran CHK DSK (I think). It listed a number of files as causing a problem but these files were actually on my original slave. I guess that somehow there was some sort of indexing problem between the two drives (sorry for the highly amateur phrasing).

Anyway, I popped the drive back into my main computer as master and, after going to the page with:

SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
START WINDOWS NORMALLY.

I selected START WINDOWS NORMALLY and everything booted up fine.

I'm now frantically backing up things in case this ever happens again on a more permanent basis.

Thanks to everyone who considered my problem.

run the chkdisk again (start>run>cmd>chkdisk /f) to double check if it missed anything..

yes backup is a good idea :)

if you want to you can run a diagnostic test on the HDD to see if its reliable or damaged/warning etc.. apps can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back