Unmountable_boot_Volume error... and then some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently my gf told me that her computer keeps restarting over and over again before it can get into windows so I went over to check it out. Its a HP, so it goes to the F1 setup and F10 system recovery screen before loading up windows XP. It seems to be working fine until windows starts loading up then all the sudden the said error comes up and the computer restarts itself, if not stopped it goes in a neverending cycle. I did some research on the error and was lead to the solution of creating a boot disk( all 6 of the MS boot disks) then in the recovery mode run chkdsk and also the fixboot commands to fix it. The disks boot up fine but then when it gets to the point in the recovery mode where you pick which OS to use, XP is not listed only 2 others. This is where I get lost. I don't understand why XP doesn't show up as a viable option, I tried it on my home pc which also has XP and its the first option. I went into the other two options and tried to run chkdsk and fixboot. chkdsk returns the error autochk.exe cannot be found and fixboot works fine but does not fix the problem. If anyone can help with this or has any clues on what the problem could be, please let me know it would be much appreciated.

P. S. My gf said that this started one night when she left her PC on then in the middle of the night was shutting it down, she said it was taking too long to shut down so she just turned it off using the power button on the PC during shutdown procedures. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem or not but I'm just throwing it out there as extra info/causes.

tyvm -TBMC-

You have a failed hard drive. You can try doing a format and clean reinstall of XP. If this fails, you have no choice but to replace the hard drive

1 of 3 possibilities.

1. Your hard drive has become disconnected. Check the cable for looseness or if it is a laptop that it is snug.
2. Your registry is corrupt. Boot off an XP installation disk in safe mode and run CHKDSK on drive C:
3. You HD is kaput. replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back