Unreal Tournament 2K3 Demo is OUT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
Check VoodooExtreme for a list of mirrors, but good luck trying to get this thing tonight! I've hit 10-15 servers and only two have actually started - one at 200+ bytes/sec and another at 3 K/sec.

LNCPapa

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/misc/dlx/unreal/

Downloaded from gamespot using their kontiki download software. Got it real fast at > 200k per sec :)

Played it and really liked it. Plays quite well on my 1.7Ghz Dell Inspiron 8200 with GF2Go 32mb and 512mb DDR. I was really surprised as when I ran it up at first it set everything to low graphic detail. I bumped everything up to normal (top setting for most graphic details??) and set the physics model up to highest detail. The one thing that got me with the instant action option (all thats available to me at the moment :( ) was that the graphics looked lovely with swaying trees and their shadows but being a CS player I found it a bit hectic to be able to check out all the nice details. Still running around with the lightning gun got me a "domination" killing spree hehe. And I wasn't camping :)
Might buy the whole game but as its aim is the online market I really have to wait until I move home and get ADSL as I don't think I can bear going back to playing online games at 56k (44k freeserve connection from my parents home :( )

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1650&p=9

This anandtech article shows the fps performance with CPU scaling and all Nvidia GF2, GF3, GF4 cards... The ATI 7500,8500 and 8500LE and Kryo..

So if you wanna know if your Athlon XP system will give you the level of performance in this game that you want, take a look at the article.

I just got it (thank God for Cable) and .... I really wasn't that impressed. Don't jump all over me folks but I really wasn't. I was expecting it to look a lot better. It almost looked like it was in software mode. Maybe something was wrong ... but I doubt it. I'll definately buy it but it didn't have my jaw dropped.

i brought this computer for UT almost 4 years ago.
it was top of the line, voodoo3, 366@500, etc.

now, i have to buy a new computer for UT2k3.

my cpu is now too slow to run the demo.
with radeon 8500, i only got ~20fps with 4bots.

Maybe I was wrong .. it does look pretty good. I think the demo is using low-res textures so the dowload wouldn't be too huge.

I'm worried that my system isn't enough to run it in all it's glory.
I was getting like 45 fps in the demo with the default number of bots. I made the mistake of buying the wrong motherboard. I'm going to upgrade to a 533 fsb board and maybe pick up a 2.53 cpu. Maybe I'm just being anal ... 40 - 50 fps is fine I guess. All those tests kinda make no sense ... is 120 fps really that different than 170 ?? After like 60 the human eye makes no discernation between anything. And 60 or 160 is no different to your computer.

Intel 2.2 400 fsb
GeForce4 ti4600
512 PC800
Soundblaster Audigy

This should be more than enough to run UT 2003 ... right ??

I just downloaded it from school, fat pipe, I live in Sweden and downloaded from Sunet here, was +200k all the time...

My PC is this:

Epox 8K3A+ mobo
256 MB RAM (@133mhz CAS2)
Athlon XP 1,46Ghz CPU underclocked to 1,33ghz @ 1,6v
Gainward TI4200 GFX card (not OC:ed)
Dual Maxtor D740X-FDB HD's in RAID-0 (512k stripe)
SB Live! 5.1 soundcard connected to Cambridge DTT 3500 speakers
431w PSU, 16X Pioneer DVD etc etc

Both the GFX card and CPU are watercooled with CPUFX's new watercooler (a review of it is in the works)

And just for fun I tried something different, I placed the radiator (without fan) under the powersupplies 92mm fan, thinking that the thermalcontroller there would be a great thing which would control the RPM according to heat, and although it did the cooling performance of that fan was not enough (reason to why my CPU is now underclocked...)

I'll look into fixing this later though now I had to play ;)

And this is what I think of the game (have played through all maps / game-modes: this game rocks!!!

It looks sooo beautiful! I have everything set on fullest detail and am running in 1024x768x32 and the game is sooo smooth, this is really epic yet again showing how excellent they are at making good long lasting (anyone think UT looks bad? :)) and performing game engines...

Alright, that's my essay for the day, now I got to play! ;)

Just tried it out for a few minutes... unfortunately I can't enjoy it much with my pings, will have to wait for a single player demo, in the meantime I can comment I haven't been impressed with the demo graphics, it has probably something to do with the stripped down texture size though (so they could keep download size as small as possible).

I will give it a try once again later just hope I don't end up with this "generic" feeling all over the gameplay like the first time.

To Julio and all others who want to play this game in single player mode:

By choosing to create a server you can also set the option "min players" if you increase that setting the computer will fill it up with bots...

That was what I did... (also remember to untick "dedicated server")

:D yay..

I think it's very like Quake 4 to be honest, although..

I did enjoy it, also, I'll be honest I got a leaked build (972, I think) a few months ago.. there was no killing spree's in it, and the bots were mindless... but some of the maps, CTF-December etc and Curse3 are something to really behold they're SOoooooooo good looking :)

I'll screen cap 1 or 2 if anyone wants to see them, but I liked the new demo, I've been a 'ardcore UT player for 3 years I'd say, won money at LAN competitions etc :)

So i wasn't going to be easily pleased, but I've played 2k3 online and won a few servers, but it's good in the way that, first timers who want to play online arent going to get slapped up by players coming over from the die hard UT community :)

i still prefer UT for obvious reasons, But i could see this developing a community like UT did :)

nice 1 DE and Epic ;D

Found this in the included readme file:

The full game differs in the following ways compared to this demo:

* Textures in the full game are, on average, 2X higher resolution
than in the demo. The textures in the demo were reduced because
of download size limitations.

* The full game includes over 30 maps, compared to the 4 in the demo.

* The full game includes over 50 characters, versus 4 in the demo.

* The demo only supports "instant action" mode, Internet and LAN play.
The full version also contains the single-player ladder, enabling you
to play through the game while managing a team roster.

* The demo doesn't include the Unreal editor and content-creation tools
which ship with the final game, enabling you to build new levels, modify
existing ones, and create game mods.

* The full version includes 6 mutators offering new variations on
gameplay, versus 2 in the demo.

-----CUT-------

The NVIDIA 40.41 drivers are known to have visual flaws and performance
problems (hitching) with the Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo which are not
present in the 30.82 drivers. The issue has been addressed by NVIDIA
and future drivers released by NVIDIA will contain the appropriate fixes.

If you are currently running the 40.41 drivers please either downgrade
to 30.82 or install newer drivers when available.

----END----

Guess you guys complaining on the visual quality where right ;)

I also had problems with my drivers as described, I will now downgrade to the recommended version and try again...

Thanks for the tip Per :)

Originally posted by Per Hansson

By choosing to create a server you can also set the option "min players" if you increase that setting the computer will fill it up with bots...

Julio: NP ;)

I downgraded as said to Nvidia's 30.82 drivers (from 40.41) and the visual problems where then gone...

BTW, Thomas tweak guide is now also uploaded

:eek: Looks like I'm just gonna have to buy the full game...

That and/or Unreal 2.

BTW: For those of you who don't know the difference between Unreal 2 and UT2k3, U2 is the whole huge single-player campaign, and UT2k3 is the MMOFPS ;)

Good thing the master server ain't down no more. :cool:

I'm pretty sure this is reasonable for my system:

dm-antalus
15.549608 / 50.650700 / 258.673737 fps
Score = 50.650848

dm-asbestos
18.476263 / 86.112953 / 345.650177 fps
Score = 86.164474

All at 1280x1024x32, maxed details =D

Settings: Vsync disabled, Anisotropy disabled

Thanks for the tweak guide as well, very much appreciated; though I will have to stick with the 30.82's for now.

How did you do that score then?

I have a ti200, and thats overclocked to 205/490
What CPU do you have?

Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67ghz at default clock (locked), as well as some system RAM tweaks through the BIOS setup, but I hardly think the latter would contribute much to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back