Unstable internet when other network users are downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a DLINK G604T wireless ADSL modem/router with 1 PC and 3 laptops hooked up to it.

Now, whenever any of the other network users are seeing a fair amount of internet traffic, whether downloading or uploading, this one particular laptop will experience very unstable internet. The other computers on the network have no problems whatsoever.

Basically, internet will start cutting out sporadically, eg. pages won't load/unavailable and MSN gets disconnected etc. Comes back on for a minute or two and cuts out again for a minute or so.

When the other computers on the network aren't doing much, this laptop doesn't experience any problems - internet is smooth as.

Bearing in mind that the wireless signal on the laptop shows up at EXCELLENT the whole time, what could be the problem? This is a brand new Asus M5 laptop with integrated WiFi.

Please help if you can, thanks.

Best regards,
Michael

Maybe someone set the QoS on the router so that this laptop gets the lowest priority? :p

Of course the router has the latest firmware and your wireless adapter has the latest drivers? Right?

You should test whether you lose internet access or network connectivity. The difference is crucial. Next time you get disconnected, see if you can still access other loacal computers and/or the router.

Are you using DHCP? Try with static IP configuration.

Thanks Nodsu, I will keep an eye on the laptop to see if I lose internet access or network connectivity. I have just issued static IPs to each terminal on the network. Will report back soon.

Router and wireless adapters have all the latest firmware and drivers respectively, I am quite fussy abit keeping everything up to date, including Windows, hardware drivers, software.

Have assigned static IPs to each terminal. The problem of unstable internet on that particular laptop has improved slightly, but is still occurring.

When internet access is down, the laptop is still able to access local computers.

Please advise, thanks.

Do you have any bandwidth management settings on the router? Packet filtering? Intrusion detection? Turn all these off :)

What makes this laptop special? Any fancy security software?

Can you switch wiFi cards with another Laptop? does the problem track with your WiFi card? I might be that your card Receives ok but tranmits weak (RF output is low), thus the LT spends much time resending packets due to corruption. The ISP will drop a noisy connect after so many packet repeats.

Unfortunately I can't swap the wifi cards as they are integrated with the laptops :(

Update: Sorry my bad on bad info - when internet access is down, the problem laptop is UNABLE to access the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back