Unwanted Web Connection in start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

A couple of days ago for some reason, my web connection (I have dialup), began just starting on its own, instead of my having to double-click the icon to start it. I'd rather do the double-click thing---or at least I want to know why it began doing this on its own when for the past few years I've had to click on the icon. Any thoughts?

It is possible that you have accidentally changed the settings for the dialler - go to Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connection; highlight your default connection and go to properties. Check that you have not set this to dial when there is no connection present.
If not it is possible that you have a dialler virus. What AV do you have running?

Hi and thanks. I have Avast free version. I will need to check those settings later as I'm on my comp at work, but that sounds plausible. But the virus thing sounds plausible too. A couple of days ago I got a trojan warning from Avast, telling me to close my connection immediately. I did so and have had no further warnings from my AV program. So, what do you think?

Hey Albert--I checked the settings and it was on dial when no connection is present--however, I still don't know how it got that way. Is it possible that I have a virus that is coded to change those settings?

There are trojans called diallers that will hijack your dailler and change the phone number to a premium rate tariff number. If you are on ADSL it has no effect other than to mess around with the connection settings and try to make connections although you already have one running. Avast should pick it up so run an update check and then a scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back