Up all night with this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I'd like to just say Hi, and any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I've been pulling chunks of hair out for 3 days now trying to fix this problem.

I re-installed XP 2 days ago after having some bad luck with Warcraft all of a sudden. My system was locking up if I enabled sound, yet if I turned sound off, no lock up.

Now that I've reinstalled, my system locks up randomly, even while just resting at my desktop. Walk to the store, come back 30 mins later, PC is completely frozen, reset required.

Last night for the first time, my PC didn't lock up but rather just rebooted on me, and after I loaded again it said Windows has recoevered from a serious error, and I got this error:

C:\DOCUME~1\UserName\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4779.dir00\Mini010007-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\UserName\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4779.dir00\sysdata.xml

I reinstalled XP again tonight, got all my drivers set up and installed (chipset NForce4 Ultra, Nvidia display, Creative), and was pretty optimistic that it was ok until it completely froze up on me during the installation of my first Windows Update batch, the one with some Internet 6.1 fixes, the one right before they give you SP2.

I got another random reboot after that, and I actually found this error in my Event Viewer/System:

Save Dump

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was:
0x10000050 (0xfe805303, 0x00000000, 0xfe805303, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump011007-01.dmp

I'm at a total loss. I currently run the Abit AN8 Fatal1ty Socket 939 board, with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+. This board did not support X2 CPUs until its BIOS v15, and I upgraded the BIOS to the current v20 2 days ago.

My system specs are:

Mobo - Abit AN8 Fatal1ty RAID

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Soundcard - SB Audigy 2

Videocard - NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT

RAM - 2 Gig Corsair VS1GB400C3

HDD - WDC WD740GD-00FLC0 (Western Digital 74gig 10K Raptor)

PSU - Turbolink ATX-CW 500P4 12v (500 WATT MAX)

Optical drives - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D & TEAC CD-W524E

It's not the best system in the world but it's not the worst. I've had these components for roughly one year, and just recently something has gone bad.

I'm leaning towards my mobo being the culprit, and am more than happy to upgrade to a new one like the Asus An8 32x if need be.

Anyone have an idea on what my problem is?

Thanks a ton again for any and all suggestions.

#1 Did the odd behavior begin after the BIOS upgrade?
#2 Have you ran memtest86 on your ram?

If the answer to #1 is yes, try and revert.
If the answer to #2 is no, then do that overnight if possible. It can be found here.

Stop 0x?0000050 is usually memory related. See SNGX's #2.

Disable the reboot on critical error on your machine. This will let you see the blue screen that caused the reboot, giving us critical information about the cause. Do this by right clicking on my computer, chosing properties. Then choose the advanced tab. Then chose "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery" and uncheck the "Automatically restart" button under "system failure" Click Apply any time it's an option, and then click OK until you're back at your desktop.

The next time you get a blue screen, write down all information that doesn't look like form information (file names, error messages, hex numbers. Pretty much the first 5 lines of the screen are important, then after that it becomes "standard language") That'll help us help you out.

Thanks for the replies.

SNG, nah the odd behavior started a while before the upgraded BIOS, Mainly when I started locking up in WoW, and figured out if I turned sound off it wouldn't lock up anymore. I'd say a good 2 months before I upgraded the BIOS.

I grabbed that Memtest and will try it tonight. I woke up this morning and the PC wasn't frozen, which it had been the 2 morning previous to today.

Goalie, I can make my PC reboot now just by opening up Windows Media Player. I opened it and got this error from the blue screen you wanted me to just a while ago:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, 0xBA9E25F4, 0xBA9E22F4, 0xF7B7BA17)

*** NTFS.sys - Address F7B7BA17 base at F7B55000, Date Stamp 3d6de5c1.

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.

So... is my HDD borked?

About an hour ago I was downloading Service Pack 2 on the horrible internet I'm forced to use at the moment, and around 95 out 111 megs to download, it locked up. So now I gotta go try and download it again, which takes about an hour.

Also, I ran upstairs just 20 minutes ago and talked to the GF for about 15 minutes. When I came back downstairs, it was frozen. So it likes to freeze when you do nothing at all, or do anything at all apparently.

Thanks again for any and all help!!

I suppose, but the last time I put Windows on I didn't have my Audigy installed, I was using the onboard sound. Yet the same thing happened. ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back