Upcoming LG smartphones to feature new minimalist design language

Humza

Staff member
In brief: LG has long been struggling to find a market for its ailing smartphone business, but a new design language focused on minimalism could help in turning things around for the company.

Although the craze for all-screen smartphones has advanced the industry in pretty much every way, phone design has increasingly become stagnant, with almost all modern flagships bearing the same look and feel in the hand.

LG has been one of the more daring manufacturers, often with innovative hardware design and features on its G and V series of phones. The company also had an interesting take on dual-screens with its G8X ThinQ, and has now come up with a new minimalistic design language which it says is a "nod to the natural world."

Since there's no going back from all-screen front displays, LG's design has mostly to do with the device's rear, which unlike the "squarish camera bump seen on many of today's high-end smartphones," features a "Raindrop" design on the upper-left corner, along with front-back symmetrical curves for the body.

The design will be an evolutionary departure from its existing phones, says LG, with a rear layout that represents three cameras and an LED flash that are meant to "evoke images of falling raindrops."

The main lens is meant to protrude from the rear, while the remaining two will sit flush with the device. As quad-camera setups have also become a thing on smartphones these days, one can expect more raindrops to appear when LG decides to add more camera hardware.

The new design language also includes a 3D Arc element to make for a more natural feeling in the hand by keeping edges of the display and rear symmetrically curved, subsequently reducing sharpness.

While these changes might be new for an LG phone, some rivals have sported similar designs for quite a while and are unlikely to see it as much of a threat. LG would also need other tricks up its sleeves to really stand a fighting chance, like providing useful software features and a flagship experience that doesn't go into four figures.

Permalink to story.

LG's gonna need a lot more than a cool design and "innovation" to stay competitive.
Nothing stands out when I think LG anymore.

I dunno, when I think LG I think Oled TV's. And they are better than Sony, Philips, Samsung.
I applaud them for the G5 attempt at a modable phone. Too bulky perhaps? Too early for such things?
Or will add ons always be a crap idea?

But phones are boring. When I look at a phone I want it to be different, and Samsungs S10/S20, same as oh, all the other phones before it. Iphones, same as all the other phones before them.

Iphones have the "I don't know about technology, I just want it to work" crowd - people who like laptops, facebook, and corduroy trousers.

Samsung have the "I don't wanna be an iPhone user, gimme the latest chip", peoples.

And Sony have the "Sony are still the greatest right?" - 80's people or retro brand lovers. Still wearing Levi 501 jeans.

Then you have chinese markets, that are cheating. - "I know they are lying, but, egg fried rice is good"

I think it just boils down to timing and advertising. I mean apple products are overpriced, and people pay because of the, you get what you pay for, ideal, but no, you don't. And everyones following suit, opening up room for the chinese. Free masks with every one. Probably don't work, but right now thats a clincher.

I dunno, when I think LG I think Oled TV's. And they are better than Sony, Philips, Samsung.
I applaud them for the G5 attempt at a modable phone. Too bulky perhaps? Too early for such things?
Or will add ons always be a crap idea?

But phones are boring. When I look at a phone I want it to be different, and Samsungs S10/S20, same as oh, all the other phones before it. Iphones, same as all the other phones before them.

Iphones have the "I don't know about technology, I just want it to work" crowd - people who like laptops, facebook, and corduroy trousers.

Samsung have the "I don't wanna be an iPhone user, gimme the latest chip", peoples.

And Sony have the "Sony are still the greatest right?" - 80's people or retro brand lovers. Still wearing Levi 501 jeans.

Then you have chinese markets, that are cheating. - "I know they are lying, but, egg fried rice is good"

I think it just boils down to timing and advertising. I mean apple products are overpriced, and people pay because of the, you get what you pay for, ideal, but no, you don't. And everyones following suit, opening up room for the chinese. Free masks with every one. Probably don't work, but right now thats a clincher.

The add-ons were not that appealing. It would have been better if they bundled at least 2-3 with the phone so new users got used to them.

The add-ons were not that appealing. It would have been better if they bundled at least 2-3 with the phone so new users got used to them.

Yeah I only thought the battery idea was ok. The whole feel looked like a more modern gameboy. Or not more modern. I liked the concept of it, the delivery wasn't there.

I dont know what this look will do for them. Who knows where phones will go. Seems to be all about battery, and ear buds these days, which I can't use, my earholes are non existent, things fall out all the time, cant even get my fingers in there. And I always seem to not hear what the girlfriend is saying.

I had a Samsung and my wife has an LG. When I dropped my Samsung and it broke, I used my wife's LG and was surprised at the quality of the sound. You see, I have hearing aids and do not hear well so when people call me it is a real challenge to hear clear what they are saying.

So I decided to get myself a LG. I am very happy with it. It is cheaper than Samsung but in my opinion just as good. Why people don't buy it? Maybe lousy advertising? Don't know....

I had a Samsung and my wife has an LG. When I dropped my Samsung and it broke, I used my wife's LG and was surprised at the quality of the sound. You see, I have hearing aids and do not hear well so when people call me it is a real challenge to hear clear what they are saying.

So I decided to get myself a LG. I am very happy with it. It is cheaper than Samsung but in my opinion just as good. Why people don't buy it? Maybe lousy advertising? Don't know....
First thing that comes to mind is quality issues. And they didnt address it. They quietly replaced the phones that broke still on warranty but second year unlucky bastards were thanked for being loyal customers and shown middle finger.
I wont buy from LG because I dont trust in their devices to hold well after one year.

LG G3, V20, V30. Had all of them. My V30's screen is cracked. LG's marketing and support are abysmal:
- no updates for the phones for major Android versions
- phones sold only for Asian markets, impossible to buy in Europe (*****ic decision IMHO)
- no IR, no user-replaceable battery (V20 is one of THE BEST terminals I had), I HATE glass backs, they are one of the most retarded journalist-pushed "features" which we NEVER use. What the hell do you do with the phone's back?! Give me a solid plastic/ceramic and I'm content!
- impossible to get a decent repair shop (official) and parts for LGV30 ThinQs
However, I'll get a V40 as my next phone. Why?
- amazing headphone jack amp
- good build quality
- amazing video quality
- no "S20/iPhone" price
But it will be my last LG. V60's lack of OIS is disappointing...

I have been fan of LG for years since the Viewty, Windows Mobile 6.5, Windows Phone 7 era until the latest G4 and G5. However I've jumped ship to Huawei simply because: no more new LG phones in southeast asia market since the V40.

I love how they are able to sell a "samsung-equivalent" phone for way less (usually after a year). and at the end of the day when you dismantle the phone and look at the components, they don't scream cheap internals at you. I've replaced the G5 screen assy myself, and it is super easy. slide out the battery, remove 2 phillips-head screws and push the screen open from the sides. this is probably the last phone you could get with: removable battery and standard phillips-head screws.

after the G6 LG seems to have lost their way. they used to "stand-out" and "be-different" with the G Flex design, G5 removable battery, G4 leather back, etc. honestly, I love the fact that my phone is "different", and the fact that almost nobody was using LG phone. in the past 4 years I've only seen about 5-7 people with LG phone (G4, G5, V20, G6, G7) and most of the time I told each one of them: wow, what a nice phone!

Anyway fun fact is that this company pay serious attention to sound quality of their device. Not only they still retain 3.5mm jack to most of their devices today, but the sound quality of their flagship devices are usually among the top. that includes call sound quality, so I agree with what lazer mentioned above.

camera wise, LG is decent but is not the best. what they have is a very good manual camera mode which was probably the best until they decided not to use it in their latest devices (V50 and later). sigh. and here we are, they're back with the "hamburger" camera interface just like every other phone on the planet. in terms of video, LGs are usually among the top too. I just realized it when I'm upgrading to Huawei. I'm impressed that a 4 year old LG flagship phone can hold its candle when pitted against a new Huawei flagship in 1080p60 configuration.

it's sad to see LG this way. but I still hope somehow they found their way back into their roots (remember the LG G3 was a hit but it was plagued by the bootloop) and learn their lesson.

LG has woeful QC and support and one reason they’ll always be a bit part player. I had so many LG appliances and a phone fail, I will never trust them again.

If you want to stand out you need to ditch Android. I’d love to ditch Apple for a new manufacturer but no matter how bad my life gets or how low my IQ reaches, I will never buy an Android device.

Back