Update to WindowsXP Pro; Critical Help Needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushwhacker

BRRRRRRRR!

it scare when this idea hit me. i am scared now.

i own win98se, all game and apps and my files is in my both hdd ( http://www.geocities.com/lucanunknown/lp.html )

I am wondering that when upgrade from win98se to winxp pro will impact to other registered program, i mean when upgrade from win98se to winxp pro, will it cause all of my apps, games and my files will be gone or mess it up????? or will it be okay?????

i planning update it weekend when i got home from school residence.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

puke: puke:

Some programs may need reinstalled after the upgrade. However files you've saved such as word documents and such, will not have a problem.

some may no longer work, some of those might be fixed by upgrading them or by using compatibility mode. For the most part you should be fine, but might want to ask about anything you have that has no updates for it.

Yes it will upgrade windows 98SE to XP Pro, all programs will be in the same place they were before, except you'll be running XP Pro. You may have to reinstall some programs as they may no longer work.

Pop in the XP Pro Upgrade disk, and it should auto run, if not go to the disk in My Computer and double click the setup.exe. It will then provide you with easy to understand directions. Then you'll reboot and the upgrade will begin.

Exactly. I upgraded from 98SE to XP Home some time ago. The upgrade CD should auto load. Just follow the directions. It might be a good idea to disconnect your peripherals( printer, scanner, etc) first and then reinstall them after the upgrade. Microsoft has an area on their website that lists compatable hardware and software for XP. I found that some of my hardware did not work after the upgrade without downloading updated drivers. I had no problems at all with the actual upgrade.

Good Luck!

Just a thought Bushwhacker ( I usually shorten guys name ,but in your case I thought better of it )
Anyway Give some serious thought to a clean install.There is not a lot of difference between what you are going to do on top of your present O/S because you will have some work cleaning up regardless.You can backup you 98 data someplace ,Xp can retrieve it for you after it is loaded.In my experience the upgrade still leaves unwanted disorganized stuff on your drive. I garrantee you the system will work better in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back