Updates were unable to be successfully installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep receiving this message when I try to install the latest windows security updates. It has been happenning for quite awhile so there are 8 updates in the list now. I'm worried about having my security compromised.

I'm running XP home ed. sp2 with all the updates installed until recently. My system is listed in my profile. I have sygate free firewall, AVG Grisoft free and run a number of free spyware applications, ad aware, spyware blaster, spybot S&D A squared and ewido.

I tried a solution offered on another site which involved down loading a cab file but to no avail.

Can anyone help please?

Won't update

Can you provide list of updates that won't?

Anything helpful in Event viewer?

Regards

Hi m8,

these are the updates which will not install:-

Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB911565)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
Security Update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2006 (KB890830)
Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)

there is not a fault report in event viewer. In the system folder (windows update agent) I am informed that updates have been downloaded and are ready for installation.

You can get most instructions for update falure using the links provided when your update fails. These are related directly to your machine's configuration so it is wise to start there.
In particular the " Windows Genuine Advantage " is important to solve first.
Like or not Microsoft is checking for pirated software. If your windows is legal you will have no problem allowing them to confirm your installation.

Liquidlen said:
You can get most instructions for update falure using the links provided when your update fails.

Sorry, don't know of the links you refer to.

When the updates fail to install I only see a dialogue box listing the failed updates.

My copy of XP is legitimate.

The screen that appears when your downloads fail, points you to a page that lists 'your history' and ways/links to solve each.
Just carefully read each page.

I managed to install some of the updates by using the "custom" install. It worked by installing the updates individually but I did have to play around as it seems that they would only install in a certain order. The ones remaining which would not install are:-
Security Update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB911565)

There are no solutions/links available for this problem other than a general trouble shooting link which takes me to a number of pages with lists of links of common error reports. I do not receive an error report other than "updates were unsuccessful", this option is not listed.

I have downloaded and installed WMP 10 again but I'm still unable to install these updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back