Updating AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay I have a Dimension 8300 and it comes with a Radion 8500 but i want to upgrade my video card for the time being with a higher AGP card seeing as the motherboard doesn't support PCI express. So I was looking at around $200 maybe less CAD. The Radeon X1650 XT IceQ Turbo 512MB GDDR3 caught my eye just looking for some more input thanks. The link from tiger direct is here.

Any help would be appreciated.

It may work fine, however, I think you'll need a better Power Supply Unit (PSU).

Why don't u check your PSU? Check its sticker, and tell us how many A (amperes) it has on the +12V rail(s).

Regards, and welcome to Techspot! :)

a x800xt might be better than the x1650 right?
yuou can find a x800 on ebay for less than 150 bucks

Consider your speakers

If your monitor is DVI,get one with a DVI connection.
This will be a big improvement.
My ATI 9600 XT (DVI) is a good mid range price.
I'm working on that myself for a new monitor.

That PSU should be good enough for you. It is a quality one.

The X800XT is older than the X1650XT. The X1650 XT would rival a 7600GT, and is also similar to a X850XT.

But out of these three cards, I recommend the X1650XT. It has 512MB GDDR3 memory, and a great, silent cooler.

Regards :wave:

Actually my card does have DVI and a funny thing is i just started using that yesterday because I keep getting a "power for radeon 8500 is disconnected" i dunno why, its been happening a while. Oh well thanks i think i will get the X1650XT though, thanks alot guys, big help :)

I was about to recommend the 7800GS (I have it and it's a great card) but I just checked the link to the X1650XT and it's pretty good, it has twice the memory and 8 more pipelines!! that's great and I think it's even cheaper for a bit than the 7800GS, so good choice!

I have a 7800GS. Top of the line for now - rumor has it that there will be one to beat it by radeon soon, but it's not out yet.

zipperman said:
This will be a big improvement.

Not really...the only type of blurriness I have ever seen on a VGA monitor was when I was using an adapter...that's what chokes the quality.

Tedster said:
I have a 7800GS. Top of the line for now - rumor has it that there will be one to beat it by radeon soon, but it's not out yet.

Even with the specs of the X1650XT you are sure our 7800GS is top of the line?

THe 7800GS is beat by the X1950PRO and destroyed by the X1950XT, not to mention beat minamally by the x1650xt

just remember that agp is synonymous with "end of the line." at this point it doesnt matter what you buy: 1650, 1950, 7800, whatever.....buy the best agp card you can get without spending $$$ my 7800 works fantastically and would recommend it to anything ati has to offer for agp.

yeah i know AGP is old technology, im gunna start putting together a new PC pretty soon, this is just till i pay everything else off first. anyone have any good benchmarks for the x1650xt and the 7800?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back