Updating Bios - Asus P4P800-e Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to update my bios. Im new to this method with the floppy since my last motherboard (MSI) had live update. I have read the afudos bios update procedure and it doesnt seem to work the way it says.

The procedure for creating a boot disk does not seem work. I inserted a blank disk and started my computer. At the A: prompt when I type "format a: /s" I get an error something like "bad command". Going to add/remove software (programs in my control panel) does not help since there is no option to create a boot disk there. I can create a boot disk by right clicking on my A drive and selecting format but Im thinking that's not the way to go since it wasnt mentioned in the instructions.

I havent gone any farther because I didnt want to mess anything up. I would appreciate it if you would give me specific instructions on how to do this.

Thanks.

System Specs:

Motherboard - Asus P4P800-e Deluxe
Mb revision number - 1.02
CPU - Intel P4 2.8G
Memory - 2-512M Kingston PC-3200

First things first, do you need to update your BIOS. When such a thing goes wrong, you have 90% chances of finding yourself with a dead or completely useless motherboard.

In this kind of situation, the motto "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies.

If you still want to go ahead, get the Windows 98 bootdisk HERE. Get the ASUS flashing utility & the new BIOS file (both can be downloaded HERE).

Extract the BIOS file & the flashing utility on a CD-RW, create the bootdisk & boot on it with CD-Rom support. Once booted, change the working directory to the CD-Rom & launch BIOS updating utility (remember the backup the original BIOS).

Once again, you are doing this update at your own risk. If the BIOS flash goes wrong, you will not get a RMA for your board as it is your fault that it got damaged.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Thanks so much for the info. Im not sure if I "really" need to update it, (which probably means I dont :) ) I just thought it was a good thing to keep everything up to date and I was also hoping to increase performance in online games. I find it hard to believe that everyone is that much better than me considering the amount of time I spend playing. Anyway I should probably post this in another thread since Im getting off topic. Thanks again for the info. I will keep it in mind for the future when I may need to really do an update.

Although I agree with Didou's caution ,I find the bios update function to be very easy and reliable as long as you take the time to follow all instructions properly.You should go to the Asus web site . There you can read up on each bios version including the issues each update address thereby avoiding problems with your machine and also program compatibility.
Then you can decide if an update is needed.
Also Asus has a EzeFlash updater for that board that works by itself without user input in dos, I personally have used it only once (sucessfully) but I prefer the simplicity of Dos .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back