Updating bios question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

Good Day,
Please pardon my ignorance,
In the near future I will be upgrading my P4 CPU 1.5GHz to 2.6GHz. I have an Intel D846HV mother board. From what I have read, I will have to update the bios so the new (USED) cpu will work. I have to go from P04 to a P09
I have been to the Intel website and downloaded the necessary file IFlash (P15) and Express to separate floppy disks (I have 2 disk) and pour over the directions
At this point I will say I am not going to attemp this myself because I have read how screwing up can trash your mother board. The directions are as follows on the Intel website for floppy disk.
1.Save the Iflash BIOS update file to a temporary directory
2. Duoble click the *.exe to extract the necessary files
3. Double click RUN.BAT file to create a bootable floppy disk with the necessary files.
4. Boot the target PC with the floppy disk in the floppy drive to autonmatically BIOS update process

My question? I cannot find this *.exe to double click, where is it?
Second question: I cannot find the RUN.BAT to double click. I looked at what I downloaded to the floppy, and I do not see it. I do not get it. I looked in the temp files but it is not there. I looked at the example in the Intel website and it is supposed to be at C:Temp
Although I will not be doing this myself, I would at least be educated somewhat, is there anyone that can tell me what I am overlooking?
thanks
DBonniwell

Hum.. It would sort of help if you told us exactly what you downloaded (what files do you have?) or at least where exactly you downloaded the update from (linky?).

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

here is where I got the downlod
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845hv/sb/CS-008811.htm

Other

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

I have it down loaded to a floppy disk,

It came as a zip file that had to be extracted 1 icon.

I finally got it extracted (able to see the files) and found them in a temp folder
I made a file and put what you see below in the file and transferred it to my desk top
As of now I have it on my desk top in a file for safty reasons called ‘Bios Iflash’
I also have the incon from the down load in this file
Contents of file
The icon I got from the down load, Zip file
Beep
Auto.exec
Iflash
Bios.rec
P15-005.BI0
P15-005.BI1
P15-005.BI2
P15-005.BI3
P15-005.BI4
P15-005.BI5
P15-005.SIG

Just these 11 files within the zip file
I go back to my question, where is *.exe and RUN.BAT?
Do you think I should take what I have and delete it and start all over?
Await your reply

its really don't contain RUN.BAT
iflash is exe, so it can be run under dos
that zip is the second diskette that you need and it contain drivers
the first one, that is missing, is bootable and you need to do it for your self from here http://bootdisk.com/
and remember to follow the guide for bios flashing

regards

Thanks for your reply
so RUN.BAT is the same as the IFlash file?
Sould I just put all extracted files on the blank floppy I got with the download?
then boot the target computer with that?
thanks

i think that run.bat is preset only in the "2 diskette" version of drivers and it made 1 bootable and 1 with drivers. You don't need it.

Let me explain in wide: "2 diskette" version contain run.bat and 1(or more) file which is all most some sort of archive. After starting run.bat, dos window appear and ask you to put blank formated diskette in the drive to extract the first part (bootable) to it and after that you'll be prompted for second diskette for the second part (BIOS files + flash utility). In this moment you have only the files for the second diskette. iFlash.exe is the flash utility which is dealing with BIOS.

From here, after you make a bootable disk, just copy extracted files to diskette and you are be ready to flash the BIOS.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back