Updating CPU in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated mp cpu on a giga-byte 7DRX F10a MB from AMD tunderbird 1.4ghz to an AMD atlon xp 2200+. After correcting the dip switches i rebooted. Its a duel boot system with XP and Win98. Win98 works fine. WinXp crashes after the first logo page and reboots the system. I booted up XP in safe mode and found the driver for the CPU was still the old one for the tunderbird. So I updated only to find the K7 driver available. So I using 98 untill the situtation is resolved.

save me from 98 please help

Driver? there's no driver for CPU. You might try resetting your CMOS and setting up your BIOS again, or doing a XP install repair off the CD.

Let me get this straight - you upgrading your CPU but kept the same motherboard? And now it crashes every boot?

Microsoft Processor Driver Version 5.1.2600.1152
To obtain the latest Processor driver, use the Scan for Updates feature in Windows Update. The Processor driver is listed in the Drivers Updates section after the scan is completed.

PS: I too was rather surprised that the CPU requires a driver, but it seems that the driver is responsible for providing CPU feature support (e.g. AMD PowerNow!) in Windows XP.

good job nic

i too was thinking of staying with my same motherboard, but, upgrading my processor...........nice to know, when the time comes:grinthumb

Sorry all I figured out the prob. Basically I did no the correct muiltyplyer of voltage for the chip, The MB has a pile of Dip switches. So through trial and error I found one that worked given me an Athlon XP 2200+ on the bios readout. But Xp was not working than found out the setting was ment to be 133Mhz and the muilty set on auto which also gave me a reading of XP 2200+ on the bios but also no probs with winXp

Thanks again everybody for your help

Oddjob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back