Updating ECS nforce4-a939 bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

not-so-pwner

Hey. I decided to update my bios so I went to the ecs website, downloaded the new bios .bin file and WinFlash. I read through the instructions and flashed my bios. I set it to update everything but not to clear the cmos. When I clicked update it said Erasing DMI Block. I knew it was just doing its job so I left to go fix my guitar. I came back 15 minutes later and it was still Erasing the DMI block. Nothing had moved. I wasn't in safe mode. What am I doing wrong?

Windows XP Home SP1
ECS NForce4-A939 1.0
AwardBios 6.69 from 3/30/2005
Im trying to update to 1.1G from 1.0

I wouldn't do ANYTHING and wait to see what happens, if it still happens contact ECS. It you screw up the BIOS, you screw up your computer (at least the Mobo).

The only reason why i want to upgrade my bios is because I am getting a dual core Althon 64 and my motherboard currently doesnt support it. The bios upgrade would support it. And yes I know that someone can really eff up their mobo by improperly flashing the bios

to properly update a BIOS, you need a REAL floppy drive. (not a USB floppy.)
This is because you are going into core architecture programming. BIOS is a leftover from the early days of IBM computing. All Intel and AMD processors have this at their very core.

As long as you meticulously follow the manufactuer's instructions and are patient, you shouldn't have any problems.

It is not hard to do, but you must let it FINISH completely..... the screwups happen when people are inpatient.

How long do you think a full bios update would take? Why would I need a floppy drive and are you saying I should use the DOS bios updater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back