Updating my Laptops Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

munch2477

I have an inspiron 6000 with an ati mobility radeon x300 64mb and i have asked people before if i could upgrade my video card and some have said i cannot. I ran Everest on my computer and it says i have a pci-express x16 video card slot. Doesn't this mean i can upgrade it? Or did i just read this wrong

Everest is probably reading correctly, they do use PCIe slots on some laptops for video cards. But don't get your hopes up that you will be able to swap in a PCIe video card. As you mentioned, you have an ATI 'mobility' video card. These are different than the standard PCIe card you see at newegg and such. Non-mobility PCIe cards are much to big to fit in a standard laptop.

Is it possible to upgrade the 'mobility' card though? wouldn't they make other mobility video cards? All i really want is any kind of upgrade for my laptops video card.

munch, you unsure what you want there buddy? I though you said a day or two ago that you were looking for a new laptop.

haha yeah i am really unsure what i want to do. Im trying to weigh out all of the possibilities. I think buying a new laptop is out of the question. I dont have that kind of money yet. I could sell my laptop for $380 and get a new one. But im not looking to spend that much money. I basically just need it for school right now and css. Since thats all i need it for and i got my css working very well i figured i would try to just upgrade as many things as possible on my laptop (first i did 512 mb or ram to 2gb, now i want to get a new hdd, and then hopefully get an upgrade for my video card). Hopefully i dont grow out of the gamer phase in the years to come so i could get a really nice desktop computer in the future

Sounds like you have taken all of the reasonable steps to upgrade your laptop and its doing what you want it to. I tried google but was unable to find any mobile gpu's that would fit the Dell Inspiron 6000.

munch2477 said:
I have an inspiron 6000 with an ati mobility radeon x300 64mb and i have asked people before if i could upgrade my video card and some have said i cannot. I ran Everest on my computer and it says i have a pci-express x16 video card slot. Doesn't this mean i can upgrade it? Or did i just read this wrong

I don't think you can:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/index.htm

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/om/D5181bk5.pdf

The only thing you could do is upgrade to the 128mb X300 but I don't know if the price would be worth it:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...&cs=19&sku=W5320&mfgpid=167133&chassisid=8427

yeah i dont know if its worth it. How much of a difference does an increase in 64 mb make? i guess it would be hard for anyone to explain but does anyone else have an opinion on whether it would be worth it to drop $121?

yeah honestly, thats how i was feeling. Im just gonna get a new hdd then that will be it for upgrades for my laptop. ill just save my money for when im out of college and able to buy a real pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back