Upgade Sony Vaio PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Sony Viao VGC-RA710G desktop. I recently purchased a 256mb eVGA 7800GS graphics card... well the card plays fine if I drop my in-game video settings to DirectX 7. However if I use DirectX 9 I'll get very slow frame rates, where others with lesser comp specs get 2 to 3 times the FPS. After searching online and viewing various forums I am not the only one that has this issue(same PC same game same card) However no solutions to this issue were posted. I have seen several references that this card needs at least a 400 watt PSU w/ an output of 20 amps at 12 volts (manufaturer and box says just a 350 watt PSU is needed). My PSU says its max output is 374 (12 amps at 12 volts). Sony has manufactured their PC's to be proprietary ( there are knobs on top of the PSU the slide into grooves), and do not offer an upgraded PSU.

I am considering just buying a new case that will take a 500W PSU but SONY is so proprietary that I would probably be looking at shelling out big bucks to have one custom built for my hardware. I would welcome any advice on how to solve this issue or information about a manufacturer that addresses this issue and makes PSU's for Sony desktops.

Look at the motherboard - there's a good chance it is some generic (micro)ATX form factor thing from a well-known mobo maker and it will fit any standard ATX case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back