Upgrade from Celeron D to Pentium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickq

hi everyone..
currently i have a 340* Intel Celeron D Processor in my pc, however i want to upgrade it since it doesnt run games pretty well..
(ram is good=1024 MB, video card is ok=ATI Radeon 9250 256 MB PCI)

so my question is should i or can i upgrade from my current proccesor to a Pentium 4 or better? thnx

Just a heads up, these guys are gonna need to know your mobo manufacturer and psu and things like that to be able to help.( I'm sure someone smarter than I will be along shortly) Also a PCI graphics card is alot slower than PCIE or AGP

Belarc Advisor

Google "Belarc Advisor", download it and run it . It will tell you everything you could want to know about your machine. the guys around here use something different , but I can't remember. It doesn't have spyware. Also another good app is PC Wizard 2006

Celeron D 340s are Socket 478. That means that if you get a Pentium 4, it also needs to be socket 478.

Here is a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 for Socket 478.

In order to improve graphical performance, you should upgrade your video card first. That Celeron D 340 CPU should perform better with a faster videocard, like a Radeon X800 for example.

Are you sure you want to go to a p4? How much are you looking to spend? Dual core comps are far superior if you are willing to spend the money.

i really dont wanna spend that much...
i ran some benchmarks the other day.. my video card does fine however my cpu is horrible.. i dont wanna upgrade video card..

but is it worth the $70-100 upgrade to pentium 4?

ok here is all the info on my current pc:

Processor:
2.93 gigahertz Intel Celeron D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

RAM:1024 MB

Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Govii 1.03
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.02 07/26/2004

System Model:
Compaq Presario 061 PJ517AA-ABA SR1220NX NA440 0n41411CO101GOVII00
System Serial Number: CNH435017K
Enclosure Type: Desktop
(dont know if that one is needed...)

Hmmm, actually, the 9250 is a pretty slow card. I've had a Celeron D 335 working with a 9600XT, and it played Farcry, NFS:MW, BF2 and other games pretty good.
I can assure you that the PCI 9250 is slowing you down....

And for a PCI system..... the best video card is the ATI X1300, but it's somewhat expensive. Also, the Geforce 6200 should kill a 9250. However, don't expect them to be amazing cards. PCI interface is just too slow for modern graphics card.

Hi Nickq,
I do not believe it's worth upgrading that system.

It only supports upto 533mhz bus CPU's, whereas the only really worthwhile upgrades for P4 would be a Prescott or Northwood (read 800mhz bus) CPU.

Also, your motherboard only supports single-channel and ddr-333 memories. These would also cripple a Pentium 4.

Can you enjoy improvements in performance? Sure, but the cost/benefit of it would be tainted due to the surrounding components. You'd be going through a lot of work with the result being fairly small.

If you are really hellbent against replacing the motherboard, I'd say find the cheapest 533mhz CPU and hope you can re-use your stock CPU Cooler. For example, here's one for around 50 bucks US:
http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=111

If you upgrade, I'll buy your old cpu. I'm running a P4 2.0 on an MSI at the same clock bus. I've been dyin' for a new cpu , but they are far and few between for these old boards. I also agree about your graphics. Don't you have an AGP slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back