Upgrade Issues. Upgrading from AMD mobo to P4 mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm upgrading a computer and I'm having difficulties with loading. I am replacing just the mother board, processor chip, and the ram chip. I am re-using the hard drives, cd/dvd drives, and everything else.

I've upgraded from:
an AMD chip to a P4 3.0e w/ HT
an unknown AMD mobo to a DFI PS85-BL ver B1 mobo

I will be using 512 mb ddr 400 pc3200 kingston ram

I already called DFI and they said that I need to unistall the system drivers. Of course, I tried uninstalling all device drivers and then shut down and rebuilt computer. When I booted, the computer asked for safe mode or boot normally. No matter what I select, it automatically reboots.

Any ideas, instructions, or definite fixes?

Watching over Gotham City...hey it's dark out here

Why Do u Wanna Upgrade to Pentuim 4
Just Asking

Same old, same old.
You just can't swap mobos and get away with it, UNLESS they are identical.
Each mobo has its own drivers (as DFI correctly mentioned), but they will never work with another mobo.
Try to do a Repair from CD or re-install over the top of the current installation.
Otherwise you will need to install from scratch, which is really the best when swapping mobos.

Watching over Gotham City...hey it's dark out here

And If U really wanna u can file & settings transfer wizard
so that U can clean install (Recommended) and still keep
yer settings

I Have a Pentuim 4 to by the way

Found my resolution

I was trying to adapt the hard drive to the mother board because I didn't have the windows xp product key. It was lost.

However, I put the old computer back together, downloaded a product key retriever program and finally got it. Now I'm just going to back up the hard drive on a network drive and then I'll format and start from scratch.

Also, I heard that you can clean your hard drive w/ a powerful magnet. Is this true? Can you safely clean it by putting it next to a magnet? Or will it do damage?

The way I see it, is that I will still have to format and partition the drive anyways. However, a friend informed me that just formatting and partitioning doesn't always guarantee that everything will completely be deleted. (Not that I have anything to hide.) :cool:

Same old, same old.
You just can't swap mobos and get away with it, UNLESS they are identical.
Each mobo has its own drivers (as DFI correctly mentioned), but they will never work with another mobo.
Try to do a Repair from CD or re-install over the top of the current installation.
Otherwise you will need to install from scratch, which is really the best when swapping mobos.

Can't you go to the device drivers and uninstall these drivers, shut down the computer, rebuild it, and then boot it up so that it can auto detect the correct drivers?

I tried this, but I had difficulties. I am assuming that I just missed something. For instance, while uninstalling the devices, some of them would start reinstalling. Is there a way to disable the plug and play and then have it restart when the computer boots up again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back