Upgrade processor and XP slows down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all,

i have a problem that is bothering me. I decided to upgrade my moms computer, it was an older IBM netvista. I upgraded the motherboard with new ddr400 ram and a Intel P4 2.4GHz processor. I did not change the CD drives or the HD. When I first booted the newley upgraded computer i ran the XP repair and that seemed fine but now the computer is just as slow as before and has tripple the speed and memory. It seems like the HD is working really hard, is it possible I need to format the drive and reload XP or is there something not compatible with the HD itself?

Any solutions are greatly appreciated.

Don.

Whats the fsb of the mobo??..just adding "faster" ram and cpu isnt going to do anything for you if the mobo itself can only handle so much...

did you add more memory or just change the speed of sticks
MB bios may need updated to reflect changes
what was the old cpu speed
if board only takes up to 266 you can put (most times) a faster stick in it but all you get is the 266 or 133x2
if you added more memory you should see some improvement
try some tests and check with sites that give you charts on your specs

SWITZER22 said:
the computer is just as slow as before and has tripple the speed and memory.
Could be a software problem then...

It seems like the HD is working really hard, is there something not compatible with the HD itself?
...or the hard disk drive doesn't have DMA enabled. Check from Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - IDE ATA(PI) controllers - Advanced Settings that DMA is enabled for all devices in all channels.

If it is, it's most likely something with the software, something running in background.

the ram was upgraded from 128MB PC 133 to 512MB DDR 400. The processor was upgraded from PIII 850MHz to P4 2.4Ghz. Motherboard is a asus p4 compatible board.

Before you format, check the BIOS. I had a computer once that had a XP 2400+ (2.0 GHz) and it would at random times change to a 1GHz in the BIOS and would need to have the FSB (I believe) adjusted. Can't hurt to check.

Also, when you change motherboards, you need (in 95% of all cases) to re-install XP from scratch.
The XP on it now, still has all the old drivers for the old motherboard, and these are guaranteed not compatible with the new motherboard.
Try and uninstall any hardware from Device Manager that still points to the old mobo. Then install the CD that came with the new mobo. If that fails, start from scratch...

You also mentioned the HDD is working a lot.

1) Check for fragmentation
2) Check for file system corruption
3) Download appropriate diagnostic utilities (maxtor, WD and seagate all provide their own) and run it on your disc

It may be a disc starting to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back