Upgrade to emachines; clone won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a clone of my old drive to put into a new emachines box. It starts to boot and then returned me to the emachines menu with a brief option to press F10 or F2. Waiting just sent it back to the windows boot menu. When windows tries to boot it goes back to the emachines menu. Over and over.

While trying to get on to the internet to get some help, I discovered that the USB ports and Ethernet ports don't work. It's going to the service dept for a fix.

Meanwhile, when I get it back, I'll be faced with the same dilemma. It occurs to me that the emachine might have some proprietory something that is needed for a drive to boot. That doesn't make sense to me, and it would pretty much put the kibosh on cloning drives when upgrading computers, but nothing else makes sense. Did they do this? If so is there a good workaround??

All help is appreciated!!!!!

If you have a new HDD, take out what came with emachine and install the new one in it's place. Now you'll need to have Windows XP Pro CD handy to create a new OS and install. That old HDD can be use as a slave drive to access your old data.

Well that's one way to get pass things that don't want to work right...

When windows tries to boot it goes back to the emachines menu. Over and over.
Windows XP is crashing because Windows cannot be transferred to a significantly different system and work. It will blue screen (which is often done so quickly it simply restarts without ever displaying the blue screen).

The solutions are to reinstall Windows from the install disc (recommended) or repair your Windows XP installation. Here's instructions how: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Keep in mind that other thing can cause simliar behavior too, such as faulty hardware components, corrupted files etc... But there's no problem with your drive booting. It's working just fine - you just need to get that Windows install 'fixed' so it works on your new computer.

tipstir said:
If you have a new HDD, take out what came with emachine and install the new one in it's place. Now you'll need to have Windows XP Pro CD handy to create a new OS and install. That old HDD can be use as a slave drive to access your old data.

Well that's one way to get pass things that don't want to work right...
I've done this in the past, but the problem is that I have some MS software like Word, Excel, and Powerpoint that I was trying to avoid reinstalling or reactivating. Using it as a slave is kinda a last resort. Thanks for mentioning it though.

Rick said:
Windows XP is crashing because Windows cannot be transferred to a significantly different system and work. It will blue screen (which is often done so quickly it simply restarts without ever displaying the blue screen).

The solutions are to reinstall Windows from the install disc (recommended) or repair your Windows XP installation. Here's instructions how: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Keep in mind that other thing can cause simliar behavior too, such as faulty hardware components, corrupted files etc... But there's no problem with your drive booting. It's working just fine - you just need to get that Windows install 'fixed' so it works on your new computer.

That's great, Rick! I'll try that first, with the cloned drive, as soon as I get the machine hardware fixed.

And if i'd read these forums beforehand, it wouldn't be an emachines computer. That's the last time I'll buy one of them!!

Bladeforger said:
That's great, Rick! I'll try that first, with the cloned drive, as soon as I get the machine hardware fixed.

And if i'd read these forums beforehand, it wouldn't be an emachines computer. That's the last time I'll buy one of them!!

If you replace the "crippled" power supplies and motherboards in any Emachines computer, the computer becomes as reliable and stable as the replaced hardware allows. I recently worked on an Emachines that used an MSI motherboard, but it had the dreaded Bestec power supply. I replaced the power supply and updated the motherboards bios and drivers from the MSI website. The customer was amazed by the increased speed and stability of his updated system

Don't take this the wrong way, but going to an e-machine is not an upgrade.... they're notorious for being faulty.... get a good PSU for your emachine now before it takes out your motherboard.

Now to address your problem. Windows customizes itself for every computer it is loaded on. You cannot export your drive to another computer as the drivers and signature are customized for the system it was loaded on.

Second, it is a violation of the license agreement to export windows xp to more than 1 machine. You can clone your hardrive for the same exact computer, but no other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back