Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilPeppard

The PC in question has the following specs:
ASUS P3B-F mobo
1 gig PC-100 RAM
Dual Boot 98/XP
P3-850 MHz

I had a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI card in it that worked pretty well, but is now outdated for today's games. I just bought a Visiontek 64mb GeForce 2 MX400 and now my PC hard locks almost immediately when gaming or anything. I've installed the newest 23.11 XP drivers. They installed fine. I have the latest BIOS from ASUS. ANy ideas on what I could try? I haven't set the card up on the Win98 partition, but I'm betting it will happen there too. It seems everytime I put an AGP card into this system is when it starts locking up. Thanks for any help! I'm supposed to join a UT Lan Party tonight, so any quick help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :grinthumb

The PC in question has the following specs:
ASUS P3B-F mobo
1 gig PC-100 RAM
Dual Boot 98/XP
P3-850 MHz

I had a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI card in it that worked pretty well, but is now outdated for today's games. I just bought a Visiontek 64mb GeForce 2 MX400 and now my PC hard locks almost immediately when gaming or anything. I've installed the newest 23.11 XP drivers. They installed fine. I have the latest BIOS from ASUS. ANy ideas on what I could try? I haven't set the card up on the Win98 partition, but I'm betting it will happen there too. It seems everytime I put an AGP card into this system is when it starts locking up. Thanks for any help! I'm supposed to join a UT Lan Party tonight, so any quick help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

changed everything?

Switching to AGP imposes several changes. Have you installed the AGP drivers?

Have you (re)installed DX? Have you first uninstalled the old drivers? Have you changed your AGP Aperture Size?

Have you checked www.geforcefaq.com ?

Re: changed everything?

Originally posted by ToRN
Switching to AGP imposes several changes. Have you installed the AGP drivers?

Have you (re)installed DX? Have you first uninstalled the old drivers? Have you changed your AGP Aperture Size?

Have you checked www.geforcefaq.com ?

It is a 440BX board so there are no additional APG drivers to install that I know of. I did uninstall the Voodoo card from the device manager before installing the new one. My APG Aperture is set (be default I believe) to 256.

Have not checked out www.geforcefaq.com

Welcome back evil!

Nvidia "infinite loop" error
[Comments] by Per Hansson - 12/22/2001 @ 3:15 am
What are the symptoms of this error?
The error normally occurs under a Direct3D or OpenGL application, on systems using a GeForce 2 or GeForce 3
video card with WinXP and the Nvidia detonator drivers 23.11 or 21.83. There are reports, however, of the issue
occurring under Win2K. There are also reports of this occurring with ATI video cards but this has not been confirmed by VIA.

OpenGL- spontaneous reboot, hardware lockup or insufficient virtual memory error from WinXP

Direct 3D - Hardware lockup, BSOD with a message about an infinite loop error with a Nvidia driver

BSOD error message - this varies but refers to a problem with "nv4_disp.dll"

Here is the page that describes the different steps you can try to solve this problem. http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

What are the symptoms of this error?

The error normally occurs under a Direct3D or OpenGL application, on systems using a GeForce 2 or GeForce 3
video card with WinXP and the Nvidia detonator drivers 23.11 or 21.83. There are reports, however, of the issue
occurring under Win2K. There are also reports of this occurring with ATI video cards but this has not been confirmed by VIA.

OpenGL- spontaneous reboot, hardware lockup or insufficient virtual memory error from WinXP

Direct 3D - Hardware lockup, BSOD with a message about an infinite loop error with a Nvidia driver

BSOD error message - this varies but refers to a problem with "nv4_disp.dll"

hey dude, please download nvmax & activate the 'infinite loop' fix.

good luck!

mr.big

http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/nvmax.pl?action=download

Download NVmax 4.00.47

:: NVCrush 11 (nForce) graphics chip compatible.
:: Added 'infinite loop' fix for all Operating Systems running Det. 23.00 or higher.
:: Big performance boost on load and clock / color settings by switching to a different NVIDIA dll call. Indications also show this solves the problem whereby clocks and color controls fail on w98/ME due to two rundll calls operating as seperate processes - this caused nvmax to resume execution during first dll execution. Also as this method is faster color controls are now enabled to update in real time.
:: More memory optimisations, nvmax uses less memory than any other NVIDIA tweaker. Less than 500KB minimized and about 2400KB normal run. Faster start time.
:: Few other loose ends tied up.

Issues:
:: NVmax detects Twinview cards and then enabled multi-monitor color controls. At this time when only one output is used on a TwinView card the card will not be reported as Twinview. This causes color controls to fail because NVmax presumes output #1 is being used whereas on Twinview cards you may use the secondary output as the primary. To temporarily get around this problem both Display 1 and 2 will be available no matter if your card has TwinView or not. We have asked NVIDIA for a solution to for output number detection and hope to have the matter resolved for next release.
:: A few Det 21.83 and lower issues on Win98/ME need to be fixed, nothing serious.
:: Refresh rates tabulation not enabled in this version.
:grinthumb

how careful were you cleaning up your registry when changing from voodoo to gf2? old voodoo files are legendary for messing up ppls computers after the hardware has been removed. you can try a bit of reg editing or a complete format!!! at least the format guarantees no future problems but it is a bit extreme if you don't have 2 HDDs or some other form of storage backup to save all the stuff you want on your present hard drive. from the top of my head i think i can remember there being a voodoo destroyer utility floating around the web. perhaps you could try and find this.

SamJ

Originally posted by mrbig
hey dude, please download nvmax & activate the 'infinite loop' fix.

good luck!

mr.big

http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/nvmax.pl?action=download

Download NVmax 4.00.47

:: NVCrush 11 (nForce) graphics chip compatible.
:: Added 'infinite loop' fix for all Operating Systems running Det. 23.00 or higher.
:: Big performance boost on load and clock / color settings by switching to a different NVIDIA dll call. Indications also show this solves the problem whereby clocks and color controls fail on w98/ME due to two rundll calls operating as seperate processes - this caused nvmax to resume execution during first dll execution. Also as this method is faster color controls are now enabled to update in real time.
:: More memory optimisations, nvmax uses less memory than any other NVIDIA tweaker. Less than 500KB minimized and about 2400KB normal run. Faster start time.
:: Few other loose ends tied up.

Issues:
:: NVmax detects Twinview cards and then enabled multi-monitor color controls. At this time when only one output is used on a TwinView card the card will not be reported as Twinview. This causes color controls to fail because NVmax presumes output #1 is being used whereas on Twinview cards you may use the secondary output as the primary. To temporarily get around this problem both Display 1 and 2 will be available no matter if your card has TwinView or not. We have asked NVIDIA for a solution to for output number detection and hope to have the matter resolved for next release.
:: A few Det 21.83 and lower issues on Win98/ME need to be fixed, nothing serious.
:: Refresh rates tabulation not enabled in this version.
:grinthumb

Thanks. I downloaded it and will check it out tonight. :)

Originally posted by SamuearlJackson
how careful were you cleaning up your registry when changing from voodoo to gf2? old voodoo files are legendary for messing up ppls computers after the hardware has been removed. you can try a bit of reg editing or a complete format!!! at least the format guarantees no future problems but it is a bit extreme if you don't have 2 HDDs or some other form of storage backup to save all the stuff you want on your present hard drive. from the top of my head i think i can remember there being a voodoo destroyer utility floating around the web. perhaps you could try and find this.

SamJ

I went ahead and reformatted the PC and installed a fresh copy of both Win98 and WinXP (deal boot). I've tweaked about everything I can and the thing still hard locks randomly. I'm gonna try the new NVMax and see if that helps. I have my AGP aperture set only to 32 and the PC is the most stable it has ever been, but it is still a drag I have to tweak it so much to get the AGP card to work right. When I had a PCI video card in, it really never locked up. Not like this. Thanks.;)

Now I'm a lil 'fraid :)

Whoa :eek:

I just ordered a system with a XP-1800 and 512 MB DDRAM; but with a GeForce2 MX400 card (Daytona)... Could this freeze up possibly happen to me, too?

Zounds!

triom

Re: Now I'm a lil 'fraid :)

Originally posted by triom
I just ordered a system with a XP-1800 and 512 MB DDRAM; but with a GeForce2 MX400 card (Daytona)... Could this freeze up possibly happen to me, too?
Depends on your motherboard and OS.

With XP and VIA chipset, it's very much possible. I have no own eXPerience, though, I've always had Intel chipsets and Intel CPUs. I did got this infinite loop error on Win2k with some Detonators, however. I don't remember which - might have been 21.xx.

Have you tried decreasing your AGP aperture size from 256MB to 128MB? This is changed in the BIOS....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back