Upgraded motherboard and CPU and now Win2k won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it was time to upgrade that P3 850MHz motherboard and CPU to a real machine. I upgraded the motherboard, CPU and power supply. Re-installed base Win2k (no service pack) along with updated SCSI driver. The system runs great without any service pack installed. Then I installed Service Pack 3 and the system would not boot. I kept getting the following message on the blue screen: "STOP c000026c unknow hard error". I rebooted the machine a number of times and it finally booted into windows. On the next reboot, I get the following new message on the blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000020, 0x00000020, 0x00000000, 0xBFF74908)

*** Address BFF74908 base at BFF71000, DateStamp 3c7eddfb - SCSIPORT.SYS

I contacted the company that makes my SCSI controller and I have the correct SCSI driver installed for service pack 3. I do not understand why it works perfectly with out a service pack installed. I have tried numerous times to get the machine to boot, but never get past the blue screen.

My machines configuration is:

Abit AI7 Mother Board
P4 - 3000MHz Prescott CPU
Volcano P4 Style CPU and Heat Sink
2 x DDR 333 CRSR 512MB
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128MB
Initio 9100UW SCSI Controller
Seagate 74 GB SCSI Hard Drive (SCSI ID set to 1)
IDE CD-ROM Drive on IDE channel A
Internal IDE Zip 250 Drive on IDE channel B
3.5" Floppy Drive
400 Watt Power Supply

Besides, the OS and SCSI driver, the only other software installed is the video
driver for the NVIDIA GeForce4 card. Does any one out there have any idea as to how to correct this problem?

Welcome to TechSpot
What other message do you get, apart from your Stop-error?
Normally there is something in the style of FILE_DOES_NOT_WORK.

Never heard of your SCSI-card, have only experience with Adaptec.
Try moving the SCSI-card to another slot, you may have a resource-conflict.
Also, check your System's Error-log, maybe it tells you there what the problem is.

Double check the termination configuration for your scsi card given your setup.
Also you might take a look at this ,even though it doesn't mention your Scsi card it may be relevent.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327083

And I found kb article # 327083 that is a list of issues with SerPck 3
I run serpk 4 on my machine that has a Tekram board termination has been my only issue.(Easily solved however)
Good luck

The initial "STOP: c000026c unknown hard error" did not list a file. Now I am unable to boot the system to see the log messages. I already tried moving the SCSI card to another slot and that did not help the problem.

I have found a web page at Microsoft where they list a hotfix for this problem. Only problem is that they want $99.00 for me to email or speak to anyone concerning the fix. That web page is at:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839635

I've contacted technical support at Initio and they sugested that I use their new driver. The driver was installed during the installation of Win2k. I pressed the F6 key at the beginning of the setup and the installation program had me identify it as a SCSI driver. The Win2k installation program then identified the floppy disk as the driver for my SCSI card.

Anybody else have any ideas out there?

Hic;
Read my message above I was editing it during your last post.
Also ,roll back out of Serpak 3(or re-install fresh) and get your machine going ,since it worked before.
This would at least give you the oportunity to solve this issue while you are up and running.
Microsoft should not charge you if their patch fixes the problem , they sort of want assurance that their software is the reason for your problem.(I realize that you do take some risk)
Goodluck

Rather than SP3, go for SP4, this includes all previous SPs as well as corrections to errors in the previous SPs 1,2 and 3.
And SP5 is already in the making, don't know when yet.

If you have something like Drive Image, make an Image after the first clean install of W2K including all mobo-drivers, etc.
Then apply SP4, check if your SCSI-stuff works. If so, take another image.
Finally do all online updates and take another image.
You have now covered yourself from all eventualities.

Found Temporary Fix

I re-installed the base Win2k and saved a copy of scsiport.sys. Then I installed SP4, but before rebooting, I copied the scsiport.sys file from the initial install over the SCSIPORT.SYS file that was installed as part of SP4.

Temporary Fix Works

Yes. The base Win2k OS uses the file scsiport.sys and SP4 replaces that with SCSIPORT.SYS. After installing the base OS, I just made a copy of the initial scsiport.sys file and before doing the reboot after installing SP4, I rename the copy from the base OS to SCSIPORT.SYS.

I have just noticed one thing and that is with the new scsi driver from Initio, that there is a lot of drive activity. This may have been the case before all this started. I have a 10,000 rpm drive and with the case open, it makes a little noise that I didn't hear before.

I was finally about to contact Microsoft support for free and have requested their hotfix to the problem. Switching the scsiport.sys files is only a temporary fix, with it I loose a lot of the features in SP4.

Hicollins;
Let us know how that works , I am especially curious because as I said I use a Scsi card and like 'Real ' I prefer Win2k .
Glad things appear to be working.
BTW I forgot; 'Welcome to Techspot'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back