Upgraded process need help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just upgraded from an AMD Althon XP 1240 to the same chip but 2.8GHz.

I'm using a giga-byte 7400 Mother board. I've upgraded the BIOS to the current version but the CPU speed is still 1240 - not 2800.

What have I missed?

Thanks.

I think you`ll need to clear your cmos either with the jumper on your mobo or by taking out the cmos battery and reinserting it after few minutes.

You`ll obviously need to reconfigure your bios as after you have cleared your cmos it will be set to the defaults.

I hope this helps Regards Howard :grinthumb

More help needed!!!!

I've just removed the battery for 10 mins. Looks like the BIOS reset 'cos I had to reenter the date.

However all the info on the disk drives etc was still there so maybe it didn't reset. I removed the large battery - size of a 10cent (Aus) coin.

The problem is the CPU speed is still for my old CPU 1240 versus 2800!!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I think the cmos jumper is a little plaistic that covers 2 spikes. There is 3 spikes and you just gotta take off the plastic and move it over to the last 2 spikes then move it back to the first 2 spikes to clear it. Hope that helps

Bfrew;
Be very careful with a cmos clearing.I don't have your board ,but my Abit is performed by;
Unplugging the power source.
Pull the jumper from 1-2 >2-3 for 15 odd secounds and then replace the jumper to 1-2
Plug in start and go right to bios settings.
You might want to confirm these instruction for your Mb first( try the web site).

another suggestion

Liquidlen said:
Bfrew;
Be very careful with a cmos clearing.I don't have your board ,but my Abit is performed by;
Unplugging the power source.
Pull the jumper from 1-2 >2-3 for 15 odd secounds and then replace the jumper to 1-2
Plug in start and go right to bios settings.
You might want to confirm these instruction for your Mb first( try the web site).

some boards require you to move the jumper to the recovery setting (from 1-2>2-3) then power on and the screen will prompt you to power down, replace the jumper and re-boot :darth:

hi,

bit confused as to what chip you have now. you say it's an amd running at 2.8ghz which is a bit confusing as the athlon 64 3800+ runs at 2.4ghz. maybe you have confused the model number with the operating speed.

guessing that you have upgraded from a socket A athlon xp running @ 1.2ghz and you have kept the same mobo i would guess that you have either got the sempron 2800 cpu which has an operating speed of 2ghz or the athlon xp 2800 which if it's the barton core runs @ 2.08ghz

the problem could possibly be the front side bus (fsb) setting in the bios. for the sempron 2800 this should be set @ 166mhz. for the athlon 2800+ it should be 133mhz. this is usually found under cpu configuration settings.

hope this helps, if not post back with a bit more info i.e cpu model, mobo serial number (for gigabyte boards this usually starts with GA-), ram, hdd, etc.

good luck :)

Make sure your bios is upgraded. When I cleared my CMOS it reset the bios to think that I was running at 1150mhz instead of 1529 (11.5*100 vs 11.5*133). My shuttle ak31 motherboard did not accept 133 or higher setting for fsb speed and underclocked everything to 100mhz instead of 133mhz. When I flashed it the new bios realized that it was a athlon xp and adjusted accordingly.

You might want to make sure that you clock speed (fsb) and multiplier are set to auto and the problem might fix itself as the mobo will find what you have a set the speeds itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back