Upgrading bad video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckoecher

Hello all,

I have a GeForce4 MMX 440... Need I say more??

I want to upgrade it, so here is all my info, please help...

I play Heroes of Might and Magic 5/Hammers of fate (and it is SLOW on my computer)

I can spend, lets say US$250.00 on a new video card max
maybe a total of 800.00 all together on computer upgrades please any advice on where to start upgrading would be great (I am assuming the video card should be the first thing to go)

Power supply info is as follows:
Brand: NMB (Probably generic)
Model No. MJPC-300A
Rating of watts and amperage
Amp
+12V – 17A
-12V - .2A
+12Vsp – 1.2A

Watts
+12V, +12Vsp 200 watt

Computer info from CPU-Z

CPU
Pentium 4 2.80
Core Speed 2165.0 MHz

Mainboard
ASUSTek Computer Inc
Model P4S533 VL

Memory
DDR 512MBytes

I am in the US, let me know any more info that you might need. Thanks in advance for the advice!

First off change that psu =/ 200 watts very bad

second what type of slots are on your mobo?pci express?agp 8x?agp 16 x etc or just pci we need to know that so we can move ahead and help ypu

AGP, however I do not know how to find whether it is 8x or 16x

Maybe this pic will help

271047651.jpg

All I could find is 32-bit AGP.. I have a Sony Vaio, but alas, I bought it in 2002 and I cannot find a model number or anything.

OKay, I found it... not good news me thinks.. AGP 4x

My suggestion would be that you upgrade the whole thing or just get a whole new computer. 5 years is a very long time for a computer to last for most gamers, especially with the leaps and bounds that technology has made since 2002. I.e. PCI-e, New CPU sockets, Higher FSB's, etc. There's lots of alternatives to large companies as well. Building yourself, smaller companies, etc.

www.bestgamingforyou.com is one that I'd suggest.

Thanks for the advice all, I didn't even think about how long I have had this computer until I started this thread... I sat back and thought about it, I am going to save my mula and build me a good system. Thanks again!

btw -

I am looking online, trying to get the best deal under 1200.00, so far this is the best I can find. Could someone tell me if this is a good deal for the price?

$1037.00 Total cost, free shipping

CASE: ($10 off Mail-in Rebate) Raidmax Sagitta Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side Panel Window (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6850 CPU @ 3.00GHz 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache 64-bit

MOTHERBOARD: ($15 off Mail-in Rebate) (Quad-Core FSB1333) MSI P35 Neo2-FR Intel P35 CrossFire Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, & 7.1Audio

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD 1: ATI RADEON HD 2400 XT 256MB Video Card
VIDEO CARD 2: ATI RADEON HD 2400 XT 256MB Video Card

HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Data Hard Drive: NONE

Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

I'm not super familiar with ATI's cards or model names as I'm kind of an nVidia fanboy, but other than that the rest sounds like a sweet machine. Look into the specs of the video cards though, look for the highest Core Clock and Memory Clocks. Also, I would look for higher than a 128-bit card. I'm not sure on those but higher than 128 will get you a lot further and last a lot longer.

Lastly, I could be wrong, but I think it's spelled Mullah =p

also any PSU that comes with the case is not usually very good and I would suggest getting a better PSU.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back