Upgrading Computer. Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamibi

He should be able to run it but he might have to upgrade his power supply. I believe the 8800GTS requires a 400W or greater power supply with at least 26 amps on the +12V rail(s).

I couldn't find any power supply info on Packard Bell's site. Open the case and see if you can read the sticker on the side of the power supply. If you can't see it, it might be on the top of the power supply in which case you'll have to remove the PSU to read the sticker.

Yeh, i've told him too look at the side of his power supply. says on the site selling the GTS that 500w is the minimum.
Thanks for the comfirmation i didnt want to tell him to go ahead and buy it if he'd have to upgrade. Thanks alot

Hi there, i'm Jamibi's friend.

Thanks for helping me out with this. Am I correct in saying that the rubbish ATI card I have is integrated into my motherboard and so I'll need to a new one?

Let's say I'll need a new power supply. Could you be so kind as to give me an estimate on the price of the whole package?

Graphics card (Saw one for £176 p&p)
Motherboard
power supply

Thanks

hello team,
im kinda new on pc related stuff currently im using:
Dell Dimension 9150
3.2 Ghz Pentium D
3 gig ram (kingston brand)
410 GB HDD,
windows XP professional SP 2,
DELL 2707WFP [Monitor],
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
....i guess thats enough info. Recently im into pc gaming , so is there any other way i can upgrade my cpu? Also my cpu temperature reads 65 oC..is that ok? its been like that since i first bought it and that was like a year ago.

well that link i sent you of the corsair psu is 450 watt but its 33a on the 12v which is more important If your having an high end graphics card

450 watt is enough

Regards Jase

haem, I recommend that you start a new thread of your own to discuss your unrelated problem instead of hijacking this one. It gets too confusing trying to answer two different questions and talk to two different people in a single thread. I'm sure you understand.

peewit, that Corsair power supply is a good unit and will probably work just fine. However, you certainly may get a more powerful power supply if you wish. It will give you more headroom and perhaps more peace of mind. Regardless of how powerful of a power supply you install, your system will only draw what it needs so you can go as high as you want. Of course, there is such a thing as overkill and you do have to consider budget limitations.

Thanks for all the real helpfull replies. Ill let Peewit take over, as he finally got his account working.

yes you would as the motherboard in that packard bell computer as 3 pci slots and the 8800 GTS requires a pci-e slot.

You could keep the motherboard, but you would have to get a graphics card that supports pci.

Regards Jase

And Peewit Please make your own thread in the right forum with your problem as two people asking questions in the same thread gets confusing.

Thanks

Jase123 said:
Regards Jase

And Peewit Please make your own thread in the right forum with your problem as two people asking questions in the same thread gets confusing.

Thanks

But this thread IS my problem. Jamibi is my friend and he posted this for me due to my internet screwing up.

Oh, btw. I would need to see if my ram was compatable with a motherboard with a pci-e slot am i correct? How do i find out that info?

or video card slot from that information there is pci-e x1 ..

So you will need a grpahics card that supports pci-e x1

Regards Jase

You have a gig of DDR RAM installed and it says so on the Packard Bell webpage your friend linked to. The 8800GTS is not a good buy, since it will be severely bottlenecked by your Pentium 4. Get a 7950GT or an X1950XT\PRO instead, throw in a gig more of RAM and you'll be set. Only thing is, find out from Everest if you have DDR or DDR2, since Packard Bell's site is a POS and they say DDR on the main page and DDR2 on the mobo's features page. Just make sure to buy the same speed and type of RAM i.e. if it's DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz or DDR PC3200 400MHz, then you'd need another gig of that same RAM.

Thanks for that.

The reason i'm upgrading it because i'm now PC gaming. So due to how advanced games are nowadays. Well, you get the picture.

Will any of those cards be able to safely run these that are now getting released. I don't mean like on low graphics. I want a card that will safely run games on a high level of graphics.

Peewit

Please could you go yo your profile and put in your system specs, it will make our job alot easier.

and yes all of them should play a few games on high settings.

Regards Jase

Every game out there will run decently with the settings cranked all the way up on those cards. They are the pick of the lot ATM.

Let me clarify a couple of things that came up on this thread while I've been away. First, the graphics card you need should have a PCI-E x16 slot, not PCI-E x1. Second, you don't need a new motherboard as you already have a PCI-E x16 slot on your current motherboard. I checked that info before responding to your friend's original question. Click here for the website page that has that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back