Upgrading CPU help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cereal_killerxx

Currently this is my system:

Amd Athalon 64 3800+ 939 socket(2.4 ghz, 64+64 L1 cache, 512 L2 cache)
2 GB of PC 3200 DDR SDRAM
Geforce 6600 256 mb DDR ram PCI Express x16
160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 gb/s HDD
400W power supply
Hanns-G 19" Widescreen LCD with DVI @ 1440x900

I'm upgrading to a AMD Athalon 64x2 4400+, the only problem is that "Cooling device not included - Processor Only" so can I use the heatsink and fan from the previous processor or will I have to buy a brand new one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103045

I`d say you should be fine using your present heatsink and fan. Don`t know if you`ll need to update your bios, it might be a good idea to check with your mobo manufacturers website for cpu support.

Just remember to get some good quality thermal paste.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
I`d say you should be fine using your present heatsink and fan. Don`t know if you`ll need to update your bios, it might be a good idea to check with your mobo manufacturers website for cpu support.

Just remember to get some good quality thermal paste.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for the advice. I checked with the manufacturer and it says that it's compatible with the processor. My bios are up to date too. As for thermal paste, I highly recommend radio shack's brand. It does wonders and keeps my CPU very cool.

Hopefully I can also overclock the dual core processor a little bit with the stock cooling it has. I've heard good reports about people OCing them to 3-400mhz over. Wish me luck!

Yep

All the stock HSF's that came with the Athlon 64 and X2 series are the same, only exception is some of the FX series that came with a upgraded heatpipe CPU.

As Howard said, just get some quality thremal paiste before you re-seat it on your new CPU.

Oh yeah, if it dont boot, or boots wrong, again as Howard stated, check for a bios update. For ease of use, download it and have it ready on a floppy before hand just in case, so you can just flash your bios right away.

Have Fun and Enjoy Your New Upgrade !!!

1. You shouldn't have any issues with the stock cooler.
2. If you over clock (don't recommend it)- get a good cooler
3. Use arctic silver for thermal paste.
4. Ensure your BIOS is ok for you new cpu. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Check with the manufacturer. Read the bios guide in the guides forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back