Upgrading cpu& mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am looking into upgrading my mobo and cpu, I have been reading reviews and wanted more personalized imput on which one you prefer and why.

currently have a biostar I945p with a intel d cpu, I want to upgrade to be able to use sli.
I am looking at mid to top of the line models, although I don't have the money for a quad core:(
Any imput would be helpfull, Thanks

get yourself a duel core intel 6700 CPU on an MSI board - you can't go wrong.
I don't recommend asus although there are people who like 'em. They tend to have a lot of issues with RAM.

I agree. ASUS has taken its customer base for granted. Tech support has declined. Quality has declined. Failure rate is way up. ASUS seems to be using its customer base to do its qualtiy control. We find out if it works, then they learn from us when it does not.

If SLI is what you're really after, things get a little more complicated.

On one hand, people will recommend dual x16 boards, but tests have proven that dual x16 doesn't perform alot better than dual x8, or x16 and x4. This means that the 680i chipset (dual x16) will be recommended to you alot, but personally, I think some chips as basic as the P965 boards would suffice. All this depends on your budget, if you demand the very best, you can't go wrong with the 680i, but you'll only see 1-2% difference in performance when it comes to SLI. If you are a keen overclocker, then the 680i chipset probably would suit you best.

Also, I believe that the E6700 is a good chip, assuming you need all that computing power. If not, an E6420 or E6600 would suffice. Especially if you will overclock.

650i-SLI is good. 680i0-SLI is better. There are many reviews by many pulications and online sites that you can find via a Google search.

Tedster said:
get yourself a duel core intel 6700 CPU on an MSI board - you can't go wrong.
I don't recommend asus although there are people who like 'em. They tend to have a lot of issues with RAM.

I agree that ASUS is overhyped and overpriced. I do, however, hate MSI! Terrible motherboards.

Now I would get an eVGA 680i Motherboard. and either an Intel E6600. The E6600 would save money over the E6700 which offers a minimal performance boast over the E6600.

Have no quarrel with the choices... it has to be an eVGA 680i or Gigabyte 680i... unless money is a big problem.
The 6700 also supposedly has some engineering improvements, though I don't know what they could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back