Upgrading CPU on an Asus P3V4X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry_Beast

I have an Asus P3V4X with a Via Apolo Pro133A chipset.The CPU is 667.How high can I go with the CPU and can I still retain the fan and heatsink?

if you're using the stock cooler that came with the processor, you should be able to go as high as your board supports. but upgrading the cpu on said system would yield limited gains in performance on account of older subsystems.

Don't aim so low! Check the manuf. site for the fastest supported processor. Remember that sometimes you will need to flash the BIOS to get support for the fastest processor it will allow. Once you know what it can handle - get that one. 667 to 800 isn't much unless the first is a celeron and last is p3. I always recommend 1ghz for XP as a minimum - with adequate RAM (512MB if you can).

good luck!

sl33py

Harry - looked at the manual from Asus site - that's an old p3 slot board! lol - i still have a 1ghz slot - just saw it the other day in a box. You in WA area? - it's yours, but i am lazy and will forget to ship it...

good luck!

sl33py

Doh!! Just read your reply today!!I have been busy playing with the old system!I installed a 300w PSU.a GeForce5500oc,and WIN2K(98se didn't like card!!)I do have 512ram installed.A boost in CPU power would help.Minimum requirement for the Vidcard is 700!
Unfortunately I am in the Toronto,Canada area--but thank you for the kind offer!

Hi Harry!

Wow, we have a few of those old Asus motherboards still kicking around the office here. They can be finicky at times but are real troopers otherwise hehe.

Good news is, you can plunk a p3-1ghz in them... either the harder to find genuine slot-1 model, or a socket 370 p3-1ghz using a cpu-riser/converter card (socket 370 -> slot 1 thing).

You will need the last beta bios Asus came out with, which is not documented but hidden out on their ftp server:
ftp://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slot1/pro133a/p3v4x/pv4x1064.zip

This is BIOS 1006.004 Beta, and it works great on four of these mainboards here. It also can detect/use just about any pentium 3 processor,733-1ghz be it slot-1 or socket 370 in a converter.

So I'd say flash the bios and hit the used market to pop a 1ghz in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back