Upgrading CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPromIII

I have a dell dimension 2400 with a celeron (R) processor at 2.4 ghz, I was wondering what I might be able to upgrade to?

That and it is a socket #478. You can get Intel Prescott processors for that socket that run up to 3.4 GHZ. 1 MB cache. 800 FSB with hyperthreading. That's it. I operated a machine with the Prescott 3.0 GHZ and it was a good performer. The rule of thumb on upgrading your CPU is to get another GIG of speed. Try to find the 3.4 Gig Prescott. You will need to upgrade to up to 2 gigs of ram. All of this is assuming that you want to use the same motherboard.

That sounds good but I can't find the 3.4 prescott only 3.0, also am I gonna need a new fan or is the one i have good?

They are getting rarer.....

The socket 478s are probably considered replacement parts nowadays, hence the limited availability. The fact that you'd be bumping up to a Pentium class processor probably offsets the fact that you won't be getting a full gig of clock speed boost. I would install "speed fan" or something similar to monitor temps BEFORE you change the processor, so you will know what your baseline temps are. I don't know if your mobo supports 800mhz FSB speeds.

captaincranky said:
The socket 478s are probably considered replacement parts nowadays, hence the limited availability. The fact that you'd be bumping up to a Pentium class processor probably offsets the fact that you won't be getting a full gig of clock speed boost. I would install "speed fan" or something similar to monitor temps BEFORE you change the processor, so you will know what your baseline temps are. I don't know if your mobo supports 800mhz FSB speeds.

Is there a way to tell if it supports 800mhz?

Get with Dell......

You need to find out what (whose), motherboard is in the machine, then continue investigating at the manufacturers site. If you can determine the make and model of the mobo and then post it here, perhaps someone here will be able to tell you as well.

PLAN B:
I always suggest running this little program (SIW ( System Information for Windows)) available right here on Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/155-siw-system-info.html
It'll make you an expert about what's in the box, pronto!

Try this for size. 3.4 GHz processors are still available if you're desperate but your motherboard will not run it.

*EDIT*

It will not run a Prescott. I found the specs in the manual.

"Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally, or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally.

Intel Celeron® that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally."

and with no AGP slot there is only one reason to upgarde this computer "I can't afford anything else."
/*EDIT*

generally, if you spend more than $300 in upgrades, it is time to upgrade the entire system.

a BIOS upgrade of the board could allow u to use a better processor check for this in ur mobo manufacturer web site.

BTW: if U can change to a Prescott processor be careful with the cooling system, normallly the prescotts tend to have upto 25 degrees more than the others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back