Upgrading CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwyzdreamin04

Ok...I built a computer a while ago. It has...an intel mobo(to lazy to find the actual model number), core 2 duo(e4400, 2.0 ghz), maxtor 160 gb hdd, 1 gb ram, decent video card(7700 or something in geforce series), and a dvd rw drive 20x speed. and everythign is connected SATA. so heres the thing. everyone who knows me knows i loooove technology. so naturally, when I go to build another one, and i buy something more powerful than what i already have, i'm going to want to stick it in my computer and trade out.

well...heres my question: I bought a c2d 2.2ghz for the new computer. socket 775. can i put that in MY computer and have the computer run fine or do i need to update something or enter any settings in? I guess what im asking is can i just stick in the cpu and go, without any problems?

if you could be bothered to find out what model your mobo is then we would be able to help better

the short answer is if your mobo has a socket 775 then you will be able to put your new cpu in without changing anything

ok the motherboard is an intel dq965f, the box says executive series, if that means anything. but i know it can hold the 2.2 ghz so i mean, the mobo shouldnt be an issue should it?
but yo usaysing i should be able to put it in without any problems? it should just update the speed, i guess?

as llong as the mobo is the same socket as the cpu then you will not have to update anything

i went from and athlon 1ghz to an athlon xp-m 2ghz and didn't have to change anything apart from the fsb speed, but you may or may not have to change that on newer mobo's

first time you start the pc up go into your bios and make sure that the cpu's fsb speed is set to what it's supposed to be to get it's rated 2.2ghz, this is usually the highest setting

I think you meant the DQ965GF. According to Intel's website, your board supports all the Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads out there. So I don't think you need to worry. But be sure to update the BIOS to the latest version before you put in the new CPU.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I think you meant the DQ965GF. According to Intel's website, your board supports all the Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads out there. So I don't think you need to worry. But be sure to update the BIOS to the latest version before you put in the new CPU.

how do i check to see what bios i already have? i havent quite learned that much yet. i know how to update it, just not how to figure what i already have...

Daveskater said:
as llong as the mobo is the same socket as the cpu then you will not have to update anything

i went from and athlon 1ghz to an athlon xp-m 2ghz and didn't have to change anything apart from the fsb speed, but you may or may not have to change that on newer mobo's

first time you start the pc up go into your bios and make sure that the cpu's fsb speed is set to what it's supposed to be to get it's rated 2.2ghz, this is usually the highest setting

they're both 800fsb. so would i still need to check or should i just assume its right? because you said that though, i will probably check to make sure.

alwyzdreamin04 said:
how do i check to see what bios i already have?

when you turn the pc on it will display a screen for a couple of seconds about your graphics card then the screen that tells you your hard drives, optical drives and cpu etc comes up

it should say near the top of the screen what bios you have, come where near the bios manufacturer's name and logo

it won't be up for very long so you may want to take a picture of it

You can use the Pause\Break button on your keyboard to pause the POST at that screen so you can write down the BIOS version number somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back