Upgrading Dell Dimension 4700

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravage9218

Upgrading My DELL Dimension 4700

Hi, I want to upgrade my dell dimension 4700 with a new video card and more RAM. Can I upgrade it to the nvidia 8600gt and 2gb or Ram. Also what brands should I get for them and where?

The dimension 4700 has an integrated graphics chipset, It does however have a black PCI-E express slot also, so yeah you can put an 8600GT in there. 2GB of RAM should be fine also.

If your after quality ram at an affordable price, I'd get Corsair Value Select RAM. Corsair is one of the most respected memory manufacturers in the world.

For the video card, if u wanted a cheaper option i'd go Gigabyte or something. If you wanted a big brand card, then ASUS, XFX and BFG are big names in gfx cards.

Upgrading Dell Dimension 4700.

Can i install an nvidia 7900 or 8600 and get rid of my radeon x300. what other dx10 cards are compatible w/ my pc? list if possible

You have a PCI-Express slot and have a 305W PSU providing 22A on the +12V rails combined, which would allow for a 512MB 8600GTS as your best choice. Any higher and you'd need a new PSU.

I want to get a new graphic card and more ram for my dell dimension 4700.
Do i need to uninstall my old graphics drivers and how do i go about doing so.

What graphic card would you recommend for under $200 for my system?

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
You have a PCI-Express slot and have a 305W PSU providing 22A on the +12V rails combined, which would allow for a 512MB 8600GTS as your best choice. Any higher and you'd need a new PSU.
I thought I stated as such was the case, anyway,
OP stated "list if possible"
I provided one
Couldn't find the link you requested the other day, oh well
OP's psu (for verification only, since you request links)

0d5032-2.jpg

I used to use a Dell Dimension 4700 as well, but the airflow in the case sucked. You're probably gonna want to get a videocard thats not too hot... they all vary but look for something like a Geforce 7600GT or 8600GTS or a Radeon 3850 if u want decent gaming performance. As for RAM, get dual channel memory - preferably 1GB.

This is in response to your question about uninstalling your present video drivers. If you want to do this (and I think it's a good idea just in case) you need to get to 'device manager'. Go to 'control panel'. choose 'system': then pick 'hardware' and then 'device manager' will show up. If you are using Vista...just go to 'control panel' and you will see 'device manager'. Choose that. Choose 'display adapters' then right click on whatever your display accelerator or display adapter is. Then choose 'uninstall'. That will stop your built in video drivers. 'Device manager' is an important place for you to learn about. It's the place that displays what components are working...and the ones that aren't. Just start studying graphics processors and pick the one that you like. Learn what the video card specs mean.

I was typing out the reply and only when I hit the post button did I see your post. If you look at the post times, it's only 6 minutes apart. :)

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 and I want to upgrade it with a new video card, ram, and a power supply. What power supply is compatible with my computer that is around 500watts and will not fry any of my other components? The guys at Dell say if I upgrade it, it will destroy my other components. Is this true? Will I be able to upgrade to a Radeon HD 3850 if I get a new psu

Do not create multiple threads for the same discussion subject, stick to this single thread.

No, I don't think it will hurt your other components.

But some points to remember:

You are taking out the Dell labelled power Supply
You may need to put another cooling fan in your system

Wouldn't it be better to build your own computer, not a Dell computer, that has a support page, with just what's in it right now.

I say sell the Dell, build your own (seeming you just need M/b and CPU with the parts that you would like to buy)

The Dell people are probably confused, since yours is one of the Dell desktops that doesn't have a proprietarily wired PSU. So you can definitely replace the PSU in it. And no, it won't affect your components at all. A good 500W PSU would be this one. It will be able to support any new video card you put in your PC, including the HD 3850.

google psu calculator then add 30% to the results to determine if your current PSU can handle the wattage. Also bear in mind Dell tends to use proprietary PSUs on some models.

ensure you check before buying otherwise you can fry your system.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
The Dell people are probably confused, since yours is one of the Dell desktops that doesn't have a proprietarily wired PSU. So you can definitely replace the PSU in it. And no, it won't affect your components at all. A good 500W PSU would be this one. It will be able to support any new video card you put in your PC, including the HD 3850.
Just curious why recommend that psu that has no documentation what so ever on the amperage available on the 12v over the stock psu that has 22 amps and can run those cards?
Maybe that's why it's $10 ?

CoolerMaster has usually proven to be a good brand, and that particular PSU will be fine unless he overloads it too much, which is true of almost every PSU. Some particular pieces of that particular PSU that are bad make a lot of noise, but after an RMA the replacement part is quite good. Plus for the price, it can't be beat. A much better quality PSU would be the Antec Earthwatts 430W if the OP can afford it. I just posted the CoolerMaster PSU as an affordable alternative.

I was just curious because I get asked about that exact psu and there is no documentation anywhere on the net stating the 12v rating. Thanks

kimsland said:
Because he has 3,394 posts and probably just knows this, I'd say.
Since your full of useful information post a link with that psu's specs or you must know more than me since you have 200+ posts more.
Whatever I post I have documentation to back it up and try to refrain from worthless, smart a** comments such as yours, but I will make an exception in your case.

kimsland said:
Since your full of useful information post a link with that psu's specs or you must know more than me since you have 200+ posts more.
Whatever I post I have documentation to back it up and try to refrain from worthless, smart a** comments such as yours, but I will make an exception in your case.

kimsland said:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back