Upgrading graphics memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbirdman

I have a toshiba satellite 2455-s305. I baught a game that requires a graphics card with at least 128MB VRam. My laptop only has 32MB. I talked to a guy at best buy and he said that he could upgrade the memory to 128 but i really don't have ther extra money at the moment to do so. My Graphics card is a GeForce 420 Go. My wife has a HP Pavilion ze5600 laptop and her graphics card runs 64 MB. I would appreciate anyhelp you could give with updating them to play our games if u could. Thank You.

usually graphics memory is soldered on to the board so all you could really do is take it off then put some bigger chips back on if you have a supremely steady hand. i'm not an expert on the innards of laptops but this is the case in desktop pc's and probably is in laptops too.

The GeekSquad man i talked to said it was only a matter of changing the Bios settings, or something like that, on them to upgrade to 128. It would cost me around $30 each though so i was just looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks, Jay

ahhh i see. there is a setting in the bios that tells windows to ues more of your system ram for your graphics, which you could do yourself :) if you open up your bios (you'll need to press delete, F2 or F12 before the windows loading bar - it should say on the screen somewhere what one you need to press) then there will be an option that should be something like Hardware Settings or Configuration, something along those lines. then find the one that mentions graphics memory (may be abbreviated) and change it to 128M instead of 32M :) (technically it's Mb but my bios only says M :))

The Geek Squad man was talking about allocating (allowing) more system memory to be used for video. This IS done in the bios. You can increase system memory, but as you know, it will be expensive.

"I'm not an expert on the innards of laptops but this is the case in desktop pc's and probably is in laptops too"...

"all you could really do is take it off then put some bigger chips back on if you have a supremely steady hand"...

Are you kidding Daveskater!

You wouldn't solder larger capacity video memory chips on a desktop motherboard either, you would install a video card containing as much video memory as you could afford

Ok my computer won't come to a screen telling me what to push to get into bios screnn just goes strragiht to windows loading screen what do i do know?

Thanks Jay

i wasn't seriously suggesting soldering bigger chips onto the graphics ;) poor british thinking i think :D

maybe i should have put "but you don't wanna go there" afterwards :D

Ok this thing don't even give me the chance to hit any buttons at all. When i turn it on it says Toshiba in touch with tomorrow, i have tried all the buttons i am supposed to hit there and nothing. Then it goes straight to the Xp loading screen and from there to the password screen. So i still can't get into the bios screen is there any other way to get it to boot straight to it or just to get to it?

Thanks again Jay

I have the option on my wifes computer but when i hit f2 it askes for a password and she can't remember what it is. How can i change that password so i can't get into the bios on my wifes comp.

Thanks Jay

Daveskater said:
i wasn't seriously suggesting soldering bigger chips onto the graphics ;) poor british thinking i think :D

maybe i should have put "but you don't wanna go there" afterwards :D

I used to do stuff like desoldering and soldering, replacing chips on motherboards. It actually can be done. I'm too old now. My eyes won't let me do it any more. The contact points are very tiny indeed.

"Ok this thing don't even give me the chance to hit any buttons at all"...

So what happened tbirdman,
what did you do? You were only getting problems playing certain games

i don't think i have done anything to it, it just doesn't give me the same options to hit at start up as my wife's computer does. Mine doesn't give any options at all. I baught a game that requires 128 Mb and i didin't know what mine had i have never had a problem playing games on it before. The game would give me an unhadled exception error and i went to the games website and it said that my graphics card didn't have enough memory. The geeksquad guy said the same thing, i am just trying to find a cheaper alternative.

Thanks Jay

"I am just trying to find a cheaper alternative"...

You've said this twice now Jay. Reading though the replies here, what do you think are your alternatives? You actually have 2 alternatives as I see:

1. Increase your laptops System Memory to 256MB or it's MAX, and set the shared video memory in the bios to 128MB if you can

2. Save up for a better gaming laptop

Simple huh...

...and "baught" is actually spelled bought

Well i will just take it to geek squad it just seems to be easier than anything else. That seems to be a good alternative to me, that or take the game back. I already have 2 laptops that cost over 1500 each so there is no use in buying another for it to be outdated in 2 months. Not everyone has the extra money to pay someone else to fix it that's why people get on these things. Thanks for all your help in this matter. Jay

"I already have 2 laptops that cost over 1500 each so there is no use in buying another for it to be outdated in 2 months"...

Please don't tell me that the laptop you've been having video memory issues with is one of the $1500+ laptops... If it is,

BOY!!! you've been taken to the cleaners! Did you buy these laptops from Best Buy? This would explain a lot

You need a new Video 512 card ......:cool:
It's one of the most important components for Gamers.
I doubt you can change it's memory like a motherboard,but it won't
do other things you might need like 8x support.

BTW,I just noticed you have laptops.They might not even upgrade enough for High end games.
I really think a desktop PC with an LCD Wide screen monitor is more appropriate for a Gameing Computer.
Save your pennys.

My suggestion

Tmagic650 said:
"You need a new Video 512 card"...

He's talking about a laptop Zipperhead...

To this quote : :)
I would appreciate anyhelp you could give with updating them to play our games if u could. Thank You.
This is "any help" not magic.:haha:
I don't feel Laptops are suited for gameing.They might not be capable
of the necessary hardware.
Let him comment please.:rolleyes:

If your laptop doesnt have 128mb of memory on the integrated graphics then you probably shouldnt be playing those types of games on it. Its going to really stress your laptop. I had a satellite from Toshiba. They are so not in touch with tomorrow if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back